Tent City in Park Hill

I believe one of the main reasons for people becoming homeless these days is sanctions. If you have no money coming in at all then it doesn't matter whether there are homes available or not, you can't afford one.

And please can we not have the usual conversation about sanctions... They are given out without mercy as targets have to be met.

I saw the organizer on the local news this evening. He seems a very compassionate guy, someone Sheffield should be proud of.

I'd rather see groups of tents in spaces around Sheffield than people trying to settle down for the night in shop doorways.

I've camped out in September though, and it was extremely cold. It must be shocking to do so at this time of year.

I had the exact same thought today.

I have camped in a tent in mid September when the day temperatures were reasonably mild and I was surprised how cold it was at 4am. (i'm not a seasoned camper so I am naive).

It must be awful to be sleeping outside at this time of year. :(

I do feel for Anthony Tent City man but it does seem to not learn from his mistakes. Tent City 1 2 and 3 shut down because the council didnt want drug abuse and anti social behavior. His three attempts at a Breakfast Club went the same way with Wetherspoons getting fed up and kicking him out. And now one of his shops collecting have told him to stop due to theft.

Looks like Tent City Sheffield may be coming to a park or plot of land soon.

Looks like Tent City Sheffield may be coming to a park or plot of land soon.

Sure their hearts are in right place but I find the decree about who will and won't be allowed access interesting, especially if it pitches up on public land.

Makes me think back to 'Occupy Sheffield' which I'm sure had very noble intentions at the outset but soon became a social club for street drinkers etc and having initially told plod they weren't welcome, organisers ended up begging for help to get rid of people they didn't want in their camp.

Sure their hearts are in right place but I find the decree about who will and won't be allowed access interesting, especially if it pitches up on public land.

Makes me think back to 'Occupy Sheffield' which I'm sure had very noble intentions at the outset but soon became a social club for street drinkers etc and having initially told plod they weren't welcome, organisers ended up begging for help to get rid of people they didn't want in their camp.

I just think they tried it three times and it never worked. The last time was to put vunerable people on Park Square roundabout. Imagine having people with drug and alcohol problems on the busiest roundabout in the city.

Anthony Cunningham their head honcho tried breakfast club in a local Wetherspoons and then banned from there because of the problems they faced and the local cafe that agreed to take it on told them to go after a fight outside.

They simply don't have the proper training to manage all the complex issues the site will create.

Edited by woodmally

I just think they tried it three times and it never worked. The last time was to put vunerable people on Park Square roundabout. Imagine having people with drug and alcohol problems on the busiest roundabout in the city.

Anthony Cunningham their head honcho tried breakfast club in a local Wetherspoons and then banned from there because of the problems they faced and the local cafe that agreed to take it on told them to go after a fight outside.

They simply don't have the proper training to manage all the complex issues the site will create.

All very true - would they accept training and support from agencies or would they see that as a problem? FB post mentions housing and addiction services being allowed onto the site but don't think that's enough.

All very true - would they accept training and support from agencies or would they see that as a problem? FB post mentions housing and addiction services being allowed onto the site but don't think that's enough.

I think there is a better word than 'they' more like him. Sheffield Tent City really is one man Anthony Cunningham and a few followers. I dont know if he would accept that or not.

Sometimes he has the right idea and does a lot of good but then he goes off on one slating charities and services and everyone for not helping.

Sometimes he will blame the spice problem and addictions and then in the same breath blame the council for doing nothing. Even though charities, the council and everyone is facing the same problems he is.

He is never consistent with his solutions.

Edited by woodmally