New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

Why would anyone think we need more parking space?

There are stacks of multi storey car parks in the city centre and its very rare any of them are actually full. Some struggle for custom and offer very cheap all day parking to attract punters.

There's plenty of parking in the city centre.

Well when wonderland is built the they will be full and can charge double :loopy:

There is a misconception that one/two bed apartment conversions provide similar trade to shops and bar/restaurants than the offices they replaced, albeit the latter employing a veritable plethora of staff. So having said this can anyone prove that there is a need for new city centre office space? The current stock, more often than not, will have signage offering space to let, in many cases this applies to most of the block. So many people now work from home, and how many of you visit city centre offices these days?

I would like to hear the opinion of both universities students and staff as to what their requirements are, after all without these establishments the city centre would have tumble weed blowing down it’s streets. I don’t have any trust or respect for any decisions taken by Sheffield City Council, they do have a habit of thinking that they know what’s best for us.

Why would anyone think we need more parking space?

There are stacks of multi storey car parks in the city centre and its very rare any of them are actually full. Some struggle for custom and offer very cheap all day parking to attract punters.

There's plenty of parking in the city centre.

I'm interested to know which car parks do cheap all day parking? Genuine question... My friend needs to park in the city centre and is paying a ridiculous amount for day parking!

I'm interested to know which car parks do cheap all day parking? Genuine question... My friend needs to park in the city centre and is paying a ridiculous amount for day parking!

NCP on Wellington St, £4.50 all day.

I suppose it depends on your definition of cheap. I think that's reasonable.

---------- Post added 13-03-2018 at 11:03 ----------

There is a misconception that one/two bed apartment conversions provide similar trade to shops and bar/restaurants than the offices they replaced, albeit the latter employing a veritable plethora of staff. So having said this can anyone prove that there is a need for new city centre office space? The current stock, more often than not, will have signage offering space to let, in many cases this applies to most of the block. So many people now work from home, and how many of you visit city centre offices these days?

I would like to hear the opinion of both universities students and staff as to what their requirements are, after all without these establishments the city centre would have tumble weed blowing down it’s streets. I don’t have any trust or respect for any decisions taken by Sheffield City Council, they do have a habit of thinking that they know what’s best for us.

I read regularly in the Sheffield Telegraph about high demand for high quality office space in Sheffield, generally with quotes from letting agents. I imagine there's plenty of unsuitable old office blocks, but they are just that, unsuitable.

---------- Post added 13-03-2018 at 11:03 ----------

I read regularly in the Sheffield Telegraph about high demand for high quality office space in Sheffield, generally with quotes from letting agents. I imagine there's plenty of unsuitable old office blocks, but they are just that, unsuitable.

I wouldn’t take much notice of the S/T, it wouldn’t exist without the agents, this is not the old days, when it was a proper newspaper.

that is cheap, thanks. However, if that's the one near the old fire station, she used to park there, but there were a lot of drug users and aggressive beggars inside, and she felt unsafe using it.

I'll check with her though!

Edited by feargal

As recent events have shown (Toys R Us etc), retail is changing, lots more people shopping on line - Sheffield has absolutely no chance of competing with Meadowhall or established retail centres like Leeds/Manchester.

People need to get over retail as the be-all-and-end-all of city centres. Sheffield does have a lot to offer in city centre in terms of arts, music, culture and open spaces - build on that, not some dream of creating another Oxford Street.

I have always followed the plans for the Retail Quarter since moving to Sheffield in 2003. They were talking about a new John Lewis store for the city back then and after all the years of waiting, they decide that the people of Sheffield are not worthy of a brand new, state of the art store. No, only other countless cities, like Leeds, York, Leicester, etc, are worthy of this. Refurbishing the existing store is simply nowhere good enough. The building is not fit for purpose. The car park is so outdated. Leeds is the example that this city should be following. Their store is fantastic. The Council leaders can smile in the newspaper but they know deep down that Sheffielders are being shortchanged. If they are not going to move the store, they should demolish it and give us brand new one on the same site. That is the least we deserve.

I have always followed the plans for the Retail Quarter since moving to Sheffield in 2003. They were talking about a new John Lewis store for the city back then and after all the years of waiting, they decide that the people of Sheffield are not worthy of a brand new, state of the art store. No, only other countless cities, like Leeds, York, Leicester, etc, are worthy of this. Refurbishing the existing store is simply nowhere good enough. The building is not fit for purpose. The car park is so outdated. Leeds is the example that this city should be following. Their store is fantastic. The Council leaders can smile in the newspaper but they know deep down that Sheffielders are being shortchanged. If they are not going to move the store, they should demolish it and give us brand new one on the same site. That is the least we deserve.

That's up to John Lewis isnt it. Hardly the council's fault.

If JL have decided they dont want to move and spend money on a new store then that's their choice.

As recent events have shown (Toys R Us etc), retail is changing, lots more people shopping on line - Sheffield has absolutely no chance of competing with Meadowhall or established retail centres like Leeds/Manchester.

People need to get over retail as the be-all-and-end-all of city centres. Sheffield does have a lot to offer in city centre in terms of arts, music, culture and open spaces - build on that, not some dream of creating another Oxford Street.

what garbage you will always need retail and sheffield city centre hasnt got half the stores other cities has

Sheffield Council - Rockingham St and Carver St £5/day

Bank Park - Milton St £4/day

Bank Park - Sylvester St - £3.50/day

Sheffield Council - Copper St, Silver St - £3/day

Total Car Parks - Chatham St £2.80/day

Bank Park Meadow St - £2.50/day

Sheffield Council - Willey St, Stanley Lane, Trinity St - £2/day

You can also park on-street just outside the city centre in the Highfield Permit Parking zone (The area between London Rd and Queens Rd)on up to 10 hour bays for £2.80 / day. There is free parking in all of the permit parking zones around the edge of the city centre but it tends to be taken early in the day.

That's up to John Lewis isnt it. Hardly the council's fault.

If JL have decided they dont want to move and spend money on a new store then that's their choice.

yes but sheffield council dont help things as usual since labour took back over the city has gone backwards fact its a well known fact there difficult to deal with