Pond Street Nora

I used to go into the cafe for her to get a cup of tea they would not serve her I also used to see her at sutherland Rd slipper baths she used to shout somthing like I'll hold the ladder lee she was strange but I found her to be a nice lady.

You probably did hear Norah shouting something like "I'll hold the ladder lee". Her husband was Tom Lee and he was once a window cleaner.

You probably did hear Norah shouting something like "I'll hold the ladder lee". Her husband was Tom Lee and he was once a window cleaner.

The only thing I ever remember Nora shouting was "seen thee father" which she shouted at most people as they walked by. The guy who scared us was the "mirror man" he used to sit at the bar in vaious pubs and hold a little vanity mirror up to his face and speak to his reflection about the other people in the bar.

Dave

Was there in the late 60's. Went into Pond Street Bus station for the first time in over 56 years and the first thing I said to my wife was where is Pond Street Nora? She looked at me gone out.

I remember nutty Nora of Pond street also the Mad Major who used to march up Attercliffe common in his Great coat barking orders to everyone, he used to have half his head shaved.

must of had a boyfriend then,all i remember was her constant roaring,bet that labour room was noisy?

As for 'Russian Edna',wasn't she found dead in High Hazels park and the man who was convicted being a local (Darnall) lorry driver who had met her in the Barley Corn Hotel on Cambridge Street ?

If rumours about 'Subway' Cyril's vast wealth are true -which I doubt- then who would have access to to the reality of it ? Perhaps the local health authorities, the police or next of kin (if any) ? Which would be kept private I assume, unless it was in The Star then it would be a fact I suppose.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 00:20 ----------

My nan used to tell me stories about Pond Street Nora when I was younger! The hole in the road... I wish it was still there, I used to love going in there with me dad! Am I right in saying that there was a 'Transport Executive' type thing in there??

Chloé

The 'Transport Executive' was an office with a window that the public could inquire about bus routes, bus times etc and had maps and timetable books. Usually staffed by lady bus conductresses in uniform who were nearing retirement age. Inside was a break room only for the bus crews and transport personnel.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 01:03 ----------

I used to go down to Pond Street a lot with my mate Pete Croxton. We often used to sit with Nora and give her the odd ciggy of buy her a cup of coffee. She could certainly shout, although she never scared us and we thought she was a good laugh. Was thinking about her recently and wondered what had happened to her, so glad I found this site. One thing that intrigued me with Nora is something she used to say, ie "You'll not go down Princess Street no more, f---er you". I wonder what she was referring to! Any ideas anyone? Wonder if it had anything to do with the Sheffield Gangs. Anyway, Pete and I thought she was ok.[/quote

Nora could have been referring to the Fowler brothers from the Princess Street (Norfolk Bridge area) who brutally murdered an innocent man while in the process of robbing him in that area in the 1920's, (yes they were gang members). I believe they were both hanged for the crime.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 01:08 ----------

if he was the chestnut seller with a pitch outside the penny black,his barrow is in kelham island museum,there was a blind ex serviceman used to stand outside suggs sports on the moor,he sold boot laces and matches,i always saw men putting change in his tray but never taking anything,i suppose they were the lucky ones who came home from the war in one piece,i also remember nora, god bless her..

Yes the sightless man who stood at the top of Cambridge Arcade (Sugg's/Barney's), I think his name was Sammy.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 01:42 ----------

I vaguely remember the Duke of Darnall. I dont think he chased buses 'cause there weren't any. Trams maybe.

Strangely enough he used to hang out up Crookes, usually at the Noah's Ark. He did dress in a tailed suit, Spats and all

There were plenty of buses around in the tram era, the era that ended in 1960 that is.

Edited by St Petre
Add

Pond Street Nora.

In response to some comments on this thread.

1. Whilst waiting to catch my bus in Pond Street bus station, I'd often see Nora. Nora was tall, lean and had a large strong prominent nose. I recall she used to wear a brushed woollen fawn coloured coat, with 3 or 4 big round buttons down the front. The coat reached down to shin/calf length. Nora was spindle-legged, and her footwear items were mucky white plimsolls. She also wore a drab flimsy looking headscarf too. I think she was minus her teeth, and she used to draw deeply on her cigarettes.

At times, Nora looked very pensive and had spells when she didn't speak. At other times she would mutter away. This, in my opinion is loneliness. I've also witnessed Nora shouting and swearing at high volume. This was usually in response to some unkind remark aimed at her from an uncaring person, who probably had a warm home to go to. I used to get annoyed at people gawping and laughing at Nora. I also got angry with persons who taunted her by calling her names. At times, I challenged individuals about their nasty comments. I was just thankful I wasn't in Nora's situation. People new to Sheffield, often say how welcoming and friendly Sheffielders are. In my opinion there are many Sheffielders who are not very friendly. . . the insular one's, who are generally set in their ways. There's a few of such on Sheffield Forum.

2. There seems to be some confusion on this thread as regard to Cyril. This man in the photo came onto the scene years later, and he is the bloke who was supposed to have been an RAF person in his earlier years. The photo is from 1998, at Castle Square.

22 hours ago, zakes said:

Pond Street Nora.

1. Whilst waiting to catch my bus in Pond Street bus station, I'd often see Nora. Nora was tall, lean and had a large strong prominent nose. I recall she used to wear a brushed woollen fawn coloured coat, with 3 or 4 big round buttons down the front. The coat reached down to shin/calf length. Nora was spindle-legged, and her footwear items were mucky white plimsolls. She also wore a drab flimsy looking headscarf too. I think she was minus her teeth, and she used to draw deeply on her cigarettes.

At times, Nora looked very pensive and had spells when she didn't speak. At other times she would mutter away. This, in my opinion is loneliness. I've also witnessed Nora shouting and swearing at high volume. This was usually in response to some unkind remark aimed at her from an uncaring person, who probably had a warm home to go to. I used to get annoyed at people gawping and laughing at Nora. I also got angry with persons who taunted her by calling her names. At times, I challenged individuals about their nasty comments. I was just thankful I wasn't in Nora's situation. People new to Sheffield, often say how welcoming and friendly Sheffielders are. In my opinion there are many Sheffielders who are not very friendly. . . the insular one's, who are generally set in their ways. There's a few of such on Sheffield Forum.

2. There seems to be some confusion on this thread as regard to Cyril. This man in the photo came onto the scene years later, and he is the bloke who was supposed to have been an RAF person in his earlier years. The photo is from 1998, at Castle Square.

Well put mate.

22 hours ago, zakes said:

Pond Street Nora.

I only came to Sheffield in 1991, so have no knowledge of 'Pond Street Nora', but I used to see Cyril around a lot, especially in town - though I have for about 10 years. I'm assuming he's passed away?

Edited by Mister M

Can anyone remember a lady by the name of Susan who used to hang around Pond Street obsessed with buses.

After I read this topic before I asked people on my Facebook if they knew who she was. As it is before my time. My friends mum said that she remembers her in the 70's when she used too go to Sheffield. Also the landlord of my pub I go into as well. said that he remembers her from years ago. So sad that she ended up like that. You just wonder how that can happen  but it can. :( :(

You do get some characters around Sheffield. :):) 

I remember being about four, five maybe six years old and with my mum. We were walking near where Roxy's is on the other side of the road. Where that church is. A man had collapsed he was homeless. He'd hit his head badly and there was a lot of blood. My mum who smoked bent down a popped a couple of cigs in his pocket for when he woke up. I just remember when they put him in the ambulance seeing the blood on the pavement where his head had been. Even that young I felt a massive amount of sadness that someones life amounted to nothing. That he ended up like that. 

You see so many in Sheffield though. I remember one in particular a big bloke with a beard. He used to wear all his clothes at once. He wore a dirty white knitted jumper. Wellies and carried all ho belongings in a trolley. He used to sit on the Cathedral. He slept on the bench in the courtyard. Nobody went near him because you could smell him a mile away. One morning years ago when I worked down the back of the Cathedral. It was November and it was freezing. I walked past and he was asleep on the bench with all his stuff around him. I thought he was dead. I didn't have a mobile then. So I decided to go to work and come back at dinnertime. If he was still there I'd call someone. As I would know something was wrong. Thankfully he was gone when I returned. I think he was just in a deep sleep. Although I thought to myself afterwards how could anyone sleep peacefully in a cold courtyard on a bench? I suppose he was used to it. 

We used to get a lot around the back of the building where I worked at that time. I was washing the dishes one day in the kitchen at the bottom of the building it was offices. The bins were out the back. I remember seeing a lady.  She cannot have been any older than I am now. Maybe she was a bit older. With her two children. At the time I was only an eighteen year old girl and my heart sank. I watched her put a bag in the bin with a pair of trainers in and some other bits. I thought I bet that is all she owns. All her worldly goods in that tatty old carrier bag. She saw me through the window I was going to offer them something but the only thing we had was tea and coffee. After she left I opened the bin and opened the bag and looked closer at the trainers in the bag. They looked years old. I put hem back and closed the lid. A year later I was working someone else near West Street in a sandwich shop. The same little boy I had seen with the lady came in asking for food. I went home that night and cried. 

Another time when I worked in the offices I was walking towards the building one morning and I could see something on the floor. I thought it was  a black bag at first. There were bollards outside the building and there was a lady laid up against them asleep. I stepped over her and went into work. I said to the other people there's a woman sleep outside on the pavement is that normal? they said yes she is normally there sometimes asleep. I went outside to see if she was still there an hour later and she'd gone. :( :( :( :(