1955 Dial House

Just click on to DIAL HOUSE CLUB.

Saw Freddie and the Dreamers there a few times in the early 60's.

The working mens clubs were great, the majority of them had a trip once a year so kids could spend a day at the seaside, as many families couldn't afford a holiday, spending money, lunches, and coach fares were all provided from the money the clubs got from membership fee's and raffles etc.

I saw a video at w/end showing Sheffield steelworkers and life around the Dial House club.

What surprised me was that it was made by Germans and narrated in German during the period of the middle 1950s which was only 10 years after the war ended.

It ran for 40 minutes and showed all the workers in their workplace and in leisuretime.

Remember the old "mashing" cans in enamel which the men took to work. The white sweat towels around the necks evoked many memories plus everyone seemed to smoke especially on the buses (upstairs)

The Dial House looked packed every night and the video showed some of the typical acts who always seemed to be dressed in posh frocks and tuxedos.

Pop Lomas who i think was the president was shown walking round the concert room shouting GIVE ORDER PLEASE while the turn is on.

Also seen was the snooker room and amongst the individuals were old neighbours of mine called Trevor Marshall and his very smart dad.

I couldn,t help thinking....wasn,t life simpler in those days (very hard work etc) but no terrorists as such, no PC brigade,everybody just got on with things in their own way. Above all i bet a pint of ale was about 1/1d and in the film all the pints had a proper head on. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Incidentally i have no idea where the film came from but if i manage to get a copy i will stick it on the computer for all to see.

The film is already on Sheffield History and has been for well over two years.

Thanks ever so much for the reply I will have a search for it. Much appreciated.

Thanks ever so much for the reply I will have a search for it. Much appreciated.

Here it is.

All my mates and I were members at Dial House in the early 60s,you couldn,t beat it for the turns if you didn,t get in by 7pm you couldn,t get a good seat Saturday nights!.At that time our favourite tipple was black and tan,Jubilee stout mixed with half of Stones bitter,we supped it by the gallon some of my hangovers the morning after were epic!.Old Pop was nicknamed "Shine" by us because of his highly polished bald head,he had been there that long he thought he owned the place!.We had many happy times there it seems a long time ago now !.Different times lost but not forgotten!.

The film has featured in several other threads such as this one. Here is a translation of the voice-over at the beginning:

Sheffield is a working-class city in mid-England, comparable with Dusburg or Essen. Half a million people live here.

Then after showing people on their way home from work, a man is shown on Ben Lane, walking down to the club. The voice-over continues:

This is Mr Charles Henry Richards. He is 63 years old, married, and has a 31 year-old daughter who is ill and unable to work. He is a grinder in a cutlery factory and earns about 95 marks (then about £8 10s) per week. On Sundays he goes to the club at 10 in the morning to drink beer and talk with his friends.

Then the camera shows some people talking at the bar and playing cards etc. and the film continues.

I saw a video at w/end showing Sheffield steelworkers and life around the Dial House club.

What surprised me was that it was made by Germans and narrated in German during the period of the middle 1950s which was only 10 years after the war ended.

It ran for 40 minutes and showed all the workers in their workplace and in leisuretime.

Remember the old "mashing" cans in enamel which the men took to work. The white sweat towels around the necks evoked many memories plus everyone seemed to smoke especially on the buses (upstairs)

The Dial House looked packed every night and the video showed some of the typical acts who always seemed to be dressed in posh frocks and tuxedos.

Pop Lomas who i think was the president was shown walking round the concert room shouting GIVE ORDER PLEASE while the turn is on.

Also seen was the snooker room and amongst the individuals were old neighbours of mine called Trevor Marshall and his very smart dad.

I couldn,t help thinking....wasn,t life simpler in those days (very hard work etc) but no terrorists as such, no PC brigade,everybody just got on with things in their own way. Above all i bet a pint of ale was about 1/1d and in the film all the pints had a proper head on. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Incidentally i have no idea where the film came from but if i manage to get a copy i will stick it on the computer for all to see.

You are a little bit out with the date of the film. It was made in 1965.