Where was this?

Back in the eighties whilst restoring an old classic car I needed a long list of various nuts, bolts, studs, brass dome screws etc etc. I made a list from the manufacturers manual and was told about an old place which would have everything I needed in stock, despite the age of the vehicle and the various threads, whitworth, imperial etc. The company in question was in an old area of Sheff, had obviously been there donkeys years and I remember the trade counter was up some old stairs and was like something from the 1920s, however the guy never flinched when I gave him the list and not only promptly supplied the lot but charged me peanuts. I cant remember for the life of me where the place was, the only thing that springs to mind is the name 'green' but to be honest this could be from something else entirely!. I would love to know if it still exists.

It was around the old Ford auto dealers near to Kelham Island.

It was probably Williams Fasteners on Green Lane, not far from the Kelham and Fat Cat pubs. Williams is still going but it's just off Shepcote Lane now.

Chris

Yep sounds like it was Williams, there is a 'green' in the mix!. Thanks.

And if it was some totally obscure size that even they didn't stock, they could run you some off in the engineering shop downstairs. Marvelous company.

Back in the eighties whilst restoring an old classic car I needed a long list of various nuts, bolts, studs, brass dome screws etc etc. I made a list from the manufacturers manual and was told about an old place which would have everything I needed in stock, despite the age of the vehicle and the various threads, whitworth, imperial etc. The company in question was in an old area of Sheff, had obviously been there donkeys years and I remember the trade counter was up some old stairs and was like something from the 1920s, however the guy never flinched when I gave him the list and not only promptly supplied the lot but charged me peanuts. I cant remember for the life of me where the place was, the only thing that springs to mind is the name 'green' but to be honest this could be from something else entirely!. I would love to know if it still exists.

They flitted to Shepcote lane years ago, and now charge £10 minimum. There is another place on Shepcote Lane, opposite where British Steel used to be I think its called UK. Fastenings. The last time I was there they just charged for what you wanted, and was very helpful.

Did they get you to follow the red line or the yellow line ?:hihi:

Or the black line if you wanted rivets,