Old/closed Irish Pubs

Has anyone ever been to the Irish pubs, which closed in the recent years? Like the Red House and some others.

How was that? Comparing to the ones still alive?

Has anyone ever been to the Irish pubs, which closed in the recent years? Like the Red House and some others.

How was that? Comparing to the ones still alive?

The Red house was more of a music pub in its last 10 years of life. Never thought of it as an Irish pub. when it wasn't a music pub it was just a very quiet pub on a backstreet. And I went in it from the 1990s through to it closing for good.

The Red house was more of a music pub in its last 10 years of life. Never thought of it as an Irish pub. when it wasn't a music pub it was just a very quiet pub on a backstreet. And I went in it from the 1990s through to it closing for good.

Oh, it's really a pity. Were there many Irish music sessions in those pubs? I saw there were only two pubs with Irish music sessions.

The Red House had been in an area with a significant Irish population. St Vincent's church across the road provided a number of Irish priests as customers and I can remember the Irish songs and music there through the late 60's and 70's. At that time any priest could rely on a steady flow of drinks being provided for free, or maybe in exchange for a prayer. By the eighties, the Irish character of the pub had faded.

If it was real irish craic/live music and decent Stout you were after then the only place to be was the Dog and Partridge on Trippet Lane in its Hay day!!(1980's and '90's)

Didn't the Bath Hotel at Broomhall back of Glossop Road use to be an Irish pub?

Bridge Inn

The Elephant

Lion Hotel

all had a good Irish presence, but not recent.

Oh, it's really a pity. Were there many Irish music sessions in those pubs? I saw there were only two pubs with Irish music sessions.

No. It was rock music gigs. It wasn't an Irish pub at all.

Although it may have been in the 1960s or 1970s before I was visiting pubs.

Bridge Inn

The Elephant

Lion Hotel

all had a good Irish presence, but not recent.

There always seemed to be quite a few Irish lads in the Bull and Mouth and the Brunswick, probably around the time you are talking about. 60s right? A lot of them could be seen on Saturday lunchtimes in working gear all over that part of town i.e. Fitzalan Sq, Haymarket, Wicker etc. Don't really recall much Irish music going on though in any of those pubs.

There always seemed to be quite a few Irish lads in the Bull and Mouth and the Brunswick, probably around the time you are talking about. 60s right? A lot of them could be seen on Saturday lunchtimes in working gear all over that part of town i.e. Fitzalan Sq, Haymarket, Wicker etc. Don't really recall much Irish music going on though in any of those pubs.

It would be 60/70s The Lion had some on it's juke box and I think a few live do's, there was also the Irish Centre but that was more a club.

And a bit of live singing in most after topping up.

Wasn't the pub [ Still standing but been empty for years] at the junction of Attercliffe Common and Shirland Lane an Irish pub.

Was it the Queens ....... ?

Wasn't the pub [ Still standing but been empty for years] at the junction of Attercliffe Common and Shirland Lane an Irish pub.

Was it the Queens ....... ?

Yes, that was the Queen's Head. I don't think visited by the regular Irish drinkers (those of Fitzalan Square,Wicker etc) more the traveling sort that lived in caravans in the Attercliffe area. Those chaps that removed 'unwanted' scrap metal from the streets and various premises.