Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Why has religion retained its appeal through the ages and continued to flourish in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism?

Is it an inherent flaw that lies within some of us. a delusional handicap that persuades a believer to disregard anything to the contrary and recognise this as true faith? Is it family pressures. intimidation, brainwashing. a desire for a sense of belonging. or perhaps the scientific theory hasn't provided enough tangible evidence to undermine creationism? Maybe its none of the above?

Any views on this?

Why has religion retained its appeal through the ages and continued to flourish in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism?

Is it an inherent flaw that lies within some of us. a delusional handicap that persuades a believer to disregard anything to the contrary and recognise this as true faith? Is it family pressures. intimidation, brainwashing. a desire for a sense of belonging. or perhaps the scientific theory hasn't provided enough tangible evidence to undermine creationism? Maybe its none of the above?

Any views on this?

While I believe religions like Islam, Buddhism and other Eastern religions are going strong, I am pretty sure Christianity in all forms has been in steep decline for decades and still falling.

Sometimes people need to believe in something bigger than themselves.

While I believe religions like Islam, Buddhism and other Eastern religions are going strong, I am pretty sure Christianity in all forms has been in steep decline for decades and still falling.

You are mistaken.

Because in certain parts of the world people are indoctrinated from birth and given no leeway to think freely as part of the indoctrination. Straying leads to violent punishment or even death.

Fear is a very powerful tool in the arsenal of religion.

Because in certain parts of the world people are indoctrinated from birth and given no leeway to think freely as part of the indoctrination. Straying leads to violent punishment or even death.

Fear is a very powerful tool in the arsenal of religion.

My bold=

Like Baptism and Christenings?

Promising something that will never be given is a good way to get control over people, almost every society has a version of this.

Some cults have honed this to such a degree that they manipulate whole societies

You are mistaken.

Really? In 2016 a poll suggested that only 28% of UK residents believed in a God. I would be willing to bet that a lot of those were Muslims, not Christians. It is happening over here in North America too, despite all those bible thumping TV Evangelists.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Really? In 2016 a poll suggested that only 28% of UK residents believed in a God. I would be willing to bet that a lot of those were Muslims, not Christians. It is happening over here in North America too, despite all those bible thumping TV Evangelists.

I see.

You did not, originally, specify UK.

Yes, UK Christian religions are falling in numbers, but the academic reports suggest that they will stabilise at around 50% of the population. Other religions are on the increase but expected to stabilise around 10%.

Worldwide, numbers of all major religions are on the increase, although the balances between the major religions are also changing.

Sometimes people need to believe in something bigger than themselves.

You definitely do not need religion to think like that otherwise you just demonstrate that you are a deeply flawed human being.

We are all 'deeply flawed' - it is part of the human condition. Possibly it is one of the reasons why religion continues to flourish. People aspire to be better than they are - kinder, more compassionate, less self centered, more worthy - in many cases, religion helps them to achieve this.

In the West, you'd be correct, but worldwide?