Rising Beer Prices!!

My beautifull bride and I have just dusted off our tourer caravan and visited the Hope Valley for a week!.Weather was mostly warm and sunny apart from one day,we visited a few local hostelries up and down the Valley for meals and a few beers!.We had lovely food at reasonable prices ranging from Indian in Hathersage to Sunday dinner at Bradwell,coffee and cake at Tideswell and lunch in Hope all on different days of course!.One thing took the shine off it for me,the price of the beer,for instance a pint of Smiths and a pint of Lager £8 and over,this was the norm everywhere apart from Hope which was £7 30p!.Call me tight but I reckon this price is the reason so many pubs are going under,I suppose it was that price because it was a tourist area but I feel ripped off and it spoiled the week for me,thats it moan over!.:rant::roll:

Yesterday I called into a pub in the centre of Sheffield, very close to the Central Library. I noticed that the beers (5%+) were priced at over £5.00 per pint.

It's years since I had a beer so I maybe out of touch but is this the norm?

I was told they were charging £12 per pint and £5 for a portion of chips at Chatsworth flower show last week.Surely people aren't daft enough to pay this.

In my local John Smith's and Stones are £2.50 a pint. Several pubs in the city centre are similar prices.

Yesterday I called into a pub in the centre of Sheffield, very close to the Central Library. I noticed that the beers (5%+) were priced at over £5.00 per pint.

It's years since I had a beer so I maybe out of touch but is this the norm?

For a mainstream beer its not normal in my experience (e.g. John Smith, generic lager, Bradifled, Abbedyale etc), but yes certain bars/pubs charge this (or even more) for craft ale beers.

Though I only go to pubs, so I have no ideas on the bar front nowadays.

Sure, you can pay anything from £2 to £15 for a pint in Sheffield. However, the cheaper one is likely to have a lot less taste than the stronger one. And a third of the £15 beer is probably a suggested measure. Personally, I`ll drink a range of beers and the measure of each is determined by the type of beer and the price. We are lucky to have so many options in Sheffield, the envy of many a city.

Agree that the peaks can be disproportionately expensive, a tourist trap. Ditto with the food.

My beautifull bride and I have just dusted off our tourer caravan and visited the Hope Valley for a week!.Weather was mostly warm and sunny apart from one day,we visited a few local hostelries up and down the Valley for meals and a few beers!.We had lovely food at reasonable prices ranging from Indian in Hathersage to Sunday dinner at Bradwell,coffee and cake at Tideswell and lunch in Hope all on different days of course!.One thing took the shine off it for me,the price of the beer,for instance a pint of Smiths and a pint of Lager £8 and over,this was the norm everywhere apart from Hope which was £7 30p!.Call me tight but I reckon this price is the reason so many pubs are going under,I suppose it was that price because it was a tourist area but I feel ripped off and it spoiled the week for me,thats it moan over!.:rant::roll:

well there you go the Hope Valley will be more on beer as they catch the passing trade. You don't really have anywhere else to go out there so they charge more.

Locally brewed Stancil ales are fairly cheap. In the Albion on London Rd, all the Stancil range are £2.50 a pint. They range in alcohol from about 3.7 to 4.3%.

Also have a good range of craft ales from about £5 to £8 a pint but you can get them in 2/3 pint glass as far as I know.

well there you go the Hope Valley will be more on beer as they catch the passing trade. You don't really have anywhere else to go out there so they charge more.

I thought it was to try and discourage the riff-raff !

I used to work and live in Cornwall. Some of the pubs down there had two price

lists. One for the locals and one for the tourists (emmets.)

Maybe it's the same in the Hope Valley.

I like a nice pint of real ale & regularly have a drink (in various areas of Sheffield) on a Friday & Saturday night.

The (non-Wetherspoons) pubs which I usually visit always have a good range of beers e.g. 4 or 5 cask ales, priced between £2.70 & £3.50 per pint depending on the establishment e.g. the Union Hotel in Nether Edge is, as you might expect, more expensive than the Brothers' Arms at Heeley.

I know there are some establishments in Sheffield charging £4+ per pint but I avoid them because there are lots of other nice pubs with more reasonable prices - but each to their own I suppose!

I'm not normally one to moan about beer prices too much. Largely cos I expect what I drink to be expensive anyway. However, had a day out in Leeds with a couple of mates on Saturday drinking the craft keg stuff. Most bars we went had took to supplying in schooners (2/3) only. And for relatively average 4/5/6% keg beers they were charging an average of £5 a pop.

Came to a head (so to speak) in Headrow House who wanted £4 a HALF for Verdant Light Bulb, which is a good, but not outstanding, 4.5% pale. I totted up where else we had to go and realised I was waiving goodbye to 50 quid for the day (not including food).

I know Leeds is definitely the best place around here for really good beer, having more craft bars per square km than virtually anywhere else in the country. But seems they know it now and are milking it. Just need to hope Sheffield gets a couple more craft offerings in the centre but doesn't go the same way.