What happened to these coach companies?

Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory showing local coach firms. One that isn't mentioned is L. & D. Hadfield whose depot was at 51 Montgomery Terrace Road near the Royal Infirmary. Old Mr Hadfield was interested in fair organs, traction engines, steam fairs etc. and he used to run cheap day excursions to these events. He also ran a haulage business, and this is how the firm is listed in the 1973 directory, the coach operation having ended by then.

Pop T

Don't remember a Shaw's coaches in Sheffield past but I do know of a company with the same name who still operate from Whitley ( just off junction 34 of the M62 ) and have done so for a long time. Maybe they are descendents or related? Tel 01977 661214.

Like so many at the time probably sold out to Sheffield United Tours (as my grandfather did G E Whitleys coaches).

Stand corrected I think Jeffcock's sold out to Kirkby's at South Anston.

I'm sure there was a Shaws Coaches in the 1970's - I went to Bradfield School and I'm pretty sure the kids from Wharncliffe Side where bussed in by Shaws. Stannington kids had SUT and Hagues served the Loxley, Bradfield and Hollow Meadows areas.

I'm sure there was a Shaws Coaches in the 1970's - I went to Bradfield School and I'm pretty sure the kids from Wharncliffe Side where bussed in by Shaws. Stannington kids had SUT and Hagues served the Loxley, Bradfield and Hollow Meadows areas.

This Shaws Coaches were a Barnsley based company.

Thankyou for the Info on Shaw's Coaches everyone

PopT

Rileys have been gone a long time CHAIRBOY, don't know what happened to them, their premisses are now a car tuning place I think.
rileys were bought out by w gordon & sons along with hagues & billies

What about Greyhound coaches. Surbiton St.1950s--

"Greyhound Luxury Coaches" were sitll there in the 1970s, to judge from the link to a Kelly's directory that hillsboro gave in post #25.

"Greyhound Luxury Coaches" were sitll there in the 1970s, to judge from the link to a Kelly's directory that hillsboro gave in post #25.

hiya can anyone remember a coach i think it was a one man coach that was to take fishermen to snitterby, i only went once with my father-in-law in the mid sixtys we had a sweep of two bob or half a crown it was half for biggest fish and half for biggest roach ,i caught a roach 12 ounce ,i was the only one to weigh in, when it came to the payout i got the biggest roach prize , my father in law challenged this saying i should have got both prizes he went spare when it was said that the biggest fish prize woud carry on to the next week.

Stand corrected I think Jeffcock's sold out to Kirkby's at South Anston.

Jeffcocks coaches were taken over by Sheffield United Tours in June 1959. Their depot was on Balaclava Road and the coaches painted Green & Red.

jeffcocks coaches was on balaclava road on the kelvin they used to run fishing trips to lincolnshire on a sunday I used to go with my dad they were barred from a lot of places for nicking anything not nailed down that was in the 40s and 50s I still fish but am now a gentleman fly fisherman not a maggot drowner not bad for a bottom roord slum kid eh