RIP Aretha Franklin

I loved Aretha's gifted powerful singing voice with all that emotion she put into her songs.

Respect Aretha RIP.

Fantastic voice, unmistakable. Full of soul and feeling. A genuine loss and a great person who had links to civil rights and helping lift the oppressed. RIP

Edited by mikeyt

Let's not forget that she was also an outspoken champion of civil rights too.

R.I.P. :(

Still have an album of hers

Great & talented singer indeed.

However I think the news programmes, both BBC, ITV & Sky, went a bit overboard making her death the headline news item for most of the day. The BBC's 6pm both started & finished with lengthy pieces. It was like the news agencies were trying to out do each other.

And this on a day when there were still emergency services trying to find survivors from the Italian bridge collapse & A Level results were announced with advice on the university clearing system being deemed less prominent stories.

Great & talented singer indeed.

However I think the news programmes, both BBC, ITV & Sky, went a bit overboard making her death the headline news item for most of the day. The BBC's 6pm both started & finished with lengthy pieces. It was like the news agencies were trying to out do each other.

And this on a day when there were still emergency services trying to find survivors from the Italian bridge collapse & A Level results were announced with advice on the university clearing system being deemed less prominent stories.

News going way over the top with exam results, they will be doing live broadcasts next

The bridge collapse was Tuesday and other than 'the search for survivors continues', it was not news .The exam results story is what is known as a 'diary event' that is, we know it is going to happen before it does.

It was absolutely right that many news programmes led with the news of her death.

I think if Elvis and Michael Jackson got the news headlines they got when they died, then Aretha Franklin deserved the same as she was a female equivalent of those guys in every way. The only real difference is that they died relatively young and their deaths had of a more shock effect.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Farewell to the greatest duet ever:

Seeing as how no one else has mentioned it, Aretha died on the same day that Elvis did, as well as Madonna's birthday!

Been waiting a couple of days to hear Aretha and the talentless Madonna mentioned in the same sentence