Old/closed Irish Pubs

Yes, that was the Queen's Head. I don't think visited by the regular Irish drinkers (those of Fitzalan Square,Wicker etc) more the traveling sort that lived in caravans in the Attercliffe area. Those chaps that removed 'unwanted' scrap metal from the streets and various premises.

Lol a pub down Attercliffe had NO CARAVAN DWELLERS posted on the door, in the mid 70s.I can't remember which one though, they may have been more than one actually.

Lol a pub down Attercliffe had NO CARAVAN DWELLERS posted on the door, in the mid 70s.I can't remember which one though, they may have been more than one actually.

Wonder if pubs in Ingoldmells had similar signs, not good for business tho' !

Most of the pubs down the 'cliffe had them. No idea why. :hihi:

Surely not due to the ones around Woodbourne Road area at that time.

The irony was in my case, and I have told this tale before I think, is that I actually lived in a caravan at that time up High Green in the Crossfield Tavern backyard. It was my own and I paid ground rent to the landlord.

Anyway I was working at BSC Shepcote Lane as a contractor and one lunch time we went to the pub I mentioned, and we saw the sign and a workmate said to me "Tha can't come in here" pointing to the sign.:D

I just thought I nearly go through the whole history of the Irish pubs in Sheffield from your posts. It's really really lovely and amazing!

---------- Post added 19-08-2018 at 23:45 ----------

No. It was rock music gigs. It wasn't an Irish pub at all.

Although it may have been in the 1960s or 1970s before I was visiting pubs.

I was highly recommended to the sessions in Fagan's in Tuesday evenings, and there were musicians playing Irish dancing music as they introduced by themselves. What kind of music did the musicians play in the 1960s or 1970s?

I just thought I nearly go through the whole history of the Irish pubs in Sheffield from your posts. It's really really lovely and amazing!

---------- Post added 19-08-2018 at 23:45 ----------

I was highly recommended to the sessions in Fagan's in Tuesday evenings, and there were musicians playing Irish dancing music as they introduced by themselves. What kind of music did the musicians play in the 1960s or 1970s?

At a guess, I would say stuff like the Dubliners and the Clancy Brothers would have been the stuff to play in the era you mentioned. I remember seeing the Dubliners at the Fiesta in 1974 or 5 and they were the main act over Karl Denver who had seen quite a bit of chart success himself, A great crowd in that night.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Old/closed Irish pubs.

1.  Yes Ontarian, it was the Queens Head [2] (Whitbread), although I think The Coach & Hosses (Tetley) would have been more suitable for caravan dwellers. lol. They could have also tried out The Travellers (possibly Stones) .

2.  The Red House (Wards) on Solly Street, was a pub I often visited at dinner time for a pint of shandy and a sandwich in 1972-73ish.  I worked around the corner at Francis Colley (industrial clothing), on Garden Street. This was the area where St. Vincent's and the priest training place was (is). The Francis Colley building is still there (2 years ago), now a Sheffield University department.  The University seems to be taking over Sheffield,  with the indigenous working-class Sheffielders being pushed to the outskirts of the city. Is this a form of ethnic cleansing, or is it a case of discrimination? lol.

I recall one visit to The Red House when Bill and Thelma ran the pub. Thelma originated from Strabane, Northern Ireland. On this particular visit an amusing thing happened. When I went into the pub Bill had his back turned to the entrance.  When he became aware somebody (me) had come in, he turned around and we both immediately noticed we were both wearing identical ties. Bill then asked me, "Have you been in my wardrobe?" lol. I recall seeing many Irishmen in this pub in the early 70s.

I've been telled The Red House has now been turned into a shop. Has it? With all the Lego block type buildings that have gone up, I suppose the area has now become a non-spewdent free zone.

3.  The Grapes (Tetley), Trippet Lane. I was in this pub during this year. In the room immediately to the right were Irish persons strumming guitars.  One lass started to 'sing' which drove me to the beer garden/back yard to drink my pint of Guinness in peace. My previous visit to this pub was much better because the Guinness was at a warmer temperature. I don't like ice-cold drinks. Mi stomach can't take it, and neither can an elephant's. Edit; I've just been in The Grapes again in the last few days. Guinness is now back to the temperature I prefer £3:50 a pint.

4. Dog & Partridge (Tetley), Trippet Lane. This pub was a warm welcoming pub when Mrs Flynn had it. There were plenty of Irish in there playing fiddles, guitars, banjos and penny-whistles... a brilliant pub. Now the place is not as good as it was.

5.   The Pheasant (Tetley), now Barry's Bar, London Road. During afternoons at the turn of this century there were many old Irishmen drinking in this pub. . 99p per pint of bitter. Most of these Irishmen were hobbling about (possible gout sufferers). When these men spoke with each other, they were constantly swearing. Well, that is not very Godly. It seemed to me that none of them had had their secondary education taught to them at De La Salle College. No Irish music was played in this pub as far as I know.

6.   Alpha Hotel (sold Stones and John Smiths), Wostenholm Road, Nether Edge. Friday nights in this place were brilliant. Loads of Irish blokes and lasses singing and playing a variety of musical instruments. It was all off-the-cuff-stuff. Lots of jokes and anecdotes were also told. Memorable times in the latter part of the 1990s.. suppin' til 01:30.

7.   Alexandra Hotel (Stones), Exchange Street. This pub in the 1970s had a snooker table and served a great pint of Stoooonses. In the late 90s the pub was struggling and became an Irish community type pub. The pub had various political posters plastered upon the interior walls, including one with a big red hand on it. The pub even flew the Tricolour flag from the roof.

Inside the pub there wasn't any music played (there may have been concerts in the evenings), but the Irish customers entertained themselves with quiet, but polite conversation.

On a positive note. Serving behind the bar (where else?) was a woman of West Indian descent. She was a very friendly person and we had a good natter. She served me a plate of stew with mi drink. She told me her mum had created the recipe when she lived in the Windies. That plate of stew tasted unbelievably delicious.

8.   Fagans aka The Barrel (Tetley), Broad Lane. This is an okay pub. I only visit this pub very occasionally, its a bit off the beaten track. I've been in when Irish have been playing music.

9.   The Aberdeen House, Aberdeen Street/Upper Hanover Street. I never went to this pub, but I've been told loads of Irish workers were regulars, 60s.

The only Irish music I'll listen to is by Phil Coulter, Enya, and some old aquaintances of mine... The Dubliners 1 2 3 4 5.

Edited by zakes