Memories Of Walkley

Yes, usual suspects - Mr Jarman, Mr Dore, Mrs Reynolds, Mr Forester, Mrs Smith and a Reception teacher ? Mrs Schofield.

Are you still in Walkley?

Sounds like Mr Forester, Mr Dore, and Mrs Schofield (although that last name seems familiar from somewhere) had left by the time I started. We alternated Mrs Davison, Mrs Smith for much of our time there!

No longer in Walkley, I am afraid. I left in 1978 and rarely get back there these days. It does seem to have changed a lot. Many happy memories.

our surname is cain we lived on freedom st above stones shop

Whereabouts on Freedom St was the shop?

I remember Dr Bryson he looked like Gilbert Harding that used to be on television in 1950s

We lived at 23 Cromwell street between 1969-1981 and I went to the burgeon road school which then became St Mary's school, best time of my life living at Walkley, I would love to get in touch with some old pals will be 49 yrs old now, Judith Collingwood, Linda hunter, Samantha Heathcliff, Judy dinnington, Alison Pickering

Saul's Noted Bacon Shop on South Road also did farm house cheeses. Photos 1 and 2

The flat was actualy above the wide passage next to the shop. We lived two doors down name of Drew

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 16:08 ----------

Whereabouts on Freedom St was the shop?

The shop was owned by a Mr Stones but he sold it on to Lily Bower it was app 4 houses away from Burnaby Street

---------- Post added 24-10-2018 at 09:49 ----------

What years were you in the flat

On 03/02/2011 at 16:45, black eyes said:

sorry I should have said Mrs Howorth she and her sister lived below us the top of cromwell street where the builder lived I thought he had a yard there but he must have operated out of his home address

Mrs Howarth was my great aunt. She lived at 19 cromwell st, her sister Mrs Mellor lived at number 15. Neither had any children. Their brother was a plumber, he lived on Duncombe street 

Guest makapaka

Opposite the Gerties cafe there is a cobbled path that runs behind where betfred and the roller blind shops are now.

its fenced off but there is a really old brick building behind there - it’s on stilts as if a horse and cart might have gone underneath.

does anyone know what this was?

On 14/04/2019 at 12:46, makapaka said:

Opposite the Gerties cafe there is a cobbled path that runs behind where betfred and the roller blind shops are now.

its fenced off but there is a really old brick building behind there - it’s on stilts as if a horse and cart might have gone underneath.

does anyone know what this was?

I have also wondered this myself  - would be interested if anyone knows the answer!

On 22/08/2013 at 23:48, bacutts said:

lived in channing st, top end near burnaby street went to walkley county school

left 1965

My great grandmother lived at 4/2 Channing Street until her death in 1963. Her name was Lily Ellis. 

My family have lived at 45 Freedom Road for many years. I moved up at the ripe old age of 6 months in 1950. When my parents had both died, I and my sister rented out the house for a while. I later returned to the house after developing the rear.

There was a grocers/beer off called Taylor's further down on the left. Further down there at the corner was a greengrocers called Chapman's. The lady wore a beret and I think her husband was a bus inspector. I think Austin's moved in afterward and then Walker's.

Opposite the greengrocer's was a sweet shop run by Mrs Lewis. This was taken over by the Ashmore's (Pat ran a hairdresser's there). Pat's husband I think was called John and wore overalls, they had a son called Robert who was lots younger than us.

My friend Stephen Elson and his older sister Linda used to live at number 1 in the same block. Next door to him on the corner with Walkley Road was Dorit's, the beer-off which was called the Royal Oak where there was a small very crowded snug. Needham's took over the business and their Daughter Jean used to go to my school (Marlcliffe and Chances)

Going up the Road were the Woodcock's, Burgess's,  Burgin's (property repairer) Crookes (daughters Marjory, Susan and son Roger),  Davenports (daughter Jean), Hargreaves (daughter Valerie), , Harrap's (Katherine and Jean, son John),  Richard's (son Philip), Peel's (caretakers at the church), Grayson's, Womersley's (son Peter), Mrs Watson. Bryan Thompson (a keen motorcyclist) and his wife, Mrs Settle, George and Joan Torres (niece Sheila), Marples (us), Miss Haslam and Mrs Beaumont (two sisters), Brookfield's, Vanniches, (son Nick), Wadsleys (nephew John), Unwin's (daughter Janet) Sykes's (Rita and Wendy and Moira roundabout my age lived at three houses). Across the road was Nanny Hargreaves, Cave's (daughters Sandra and Pamela, Reeds (son Brian). Frogatts (son Peter), Elliotts (son Brian), Dawson (son Terry and daughter Linda), Tye's ( son Michael and he had a sister) (Mrs Gough) , Coopers (son Stephen my first friend),  Bletchers (son Raymond)  Chambers (daughter Susan), Sanderson's (daughter Janet who became a teacher   Mrs Thornton at Westward school), Crookes (son John).

There must be more.

I worked in the  voluntary Walkley Action Group which stood up to the Council in their plans to pull down the whole area. Dad was Secretary for our Road. 

Edited by stevenm
Corrections