Shuttleworth Clift

I think Ernest was the son of Florence and Shuttleworth. Eric was the son of Jessie and Shuttleworth.

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 21:24 ----------

This is from the Sheffield Indexers site

BRIDGES, Florence (of 27 Cumberland Street, born 1930-07-18).

Baptised August 13, 1930, by A G Jones at St Simon, Sheffield Centre.

Parents name(s) are Florence & William Henry (Labourer).

CLIFT, Dorothy (of 27 Cumberland Street, born 1937-03-01).

Baptised March 17, 1937, by A G Jones at St Simon, Sheffield Centre.

Parents name(s) are Florence & Shuttleworth (Canvasser).

CLIFT, Ernest (of 27 Cumberland Street, born 1935-04-16).

Baptised May 1, 1935, by A G Jones at St Simon, Sheffield Centre.

Parents name(s) are Florence & Shuttleworth (Canvasser).

Note: ~

You will also see from this that Florence was a widow when she married Shuttleworth - her maiden name was Muscroft

BRIDGES, Florence (Widow, age 42, ~, residing at 27 Cumberland Street).

Married Shuttleworth CLIFT, on April 28, 1934, by Alfred G Jones (Banns) at

St Simon, Sheffield Centre. Father's name is Thomas Muscroft (deceased) (Cutler).

Married in the presence of Irvine Cryer, Lucy Elizabeth Emily Cryer.

Notes: ~.

Edited by smary

Looking at theSheffield Indexers burial records, I believe Florence born in 1930, died at the age of 9 months in May 1931. This was only one month after her father( my grandfather) died in April 1931.

Florence Bridges was born Florence Muscroft - she then married

MUSCROFT, Florence (Spinster, age 20, ~, residing at 71 Capel St).

Married William Henry BRIDGES, on January 2, 1914, by G C Weaver (Banns) at

St John The Baptist Church, Owlerton. Father's name is Thomas Muscroft (Pen & pocket knife finisher).

Married in the presence of James Dolphin, Gertrude Torr.

Then he died in 1931 and she married Shuttleworth Clift

There is also a burial record for Florence Bridges, daughter of late William H and Florence Bridges age 9 months

About 5 generations ago, there are common ancestors

Ernest Clift was my father in law( I married Michael born 1965) Ernest was the son of Shuttleworth and Florence, Andrew and Dorothy were his brother & sister. I always remember Ernest saying when he was age 4 Shuttleworth went to fetch a loaf of bread and never returned. He also said he saw him once near Wadsley bridge with a young boy when he was a teenager.  Its believed he was a bigamist and left Florence to look after his children (fred) when his first wife Jessie past, that didnt last as far as we know and he abandoned the family some years later. We would love to find out what became of Shuttleworth as yet we have not found any trace of a death registered.

Edited by w.clift

I have posted on here before. My Dad was a grandson of Shuttleworth's brother, Austin. I know Wendy and Mick and have corresponded and met them. Dad and I did a lot of work on the family  tree but had no luck finding what happened to Shuttleworth.

Dad died in March this year and we have been sorting through some bits and pieces. There were some photographic negatives among the things (my granddad was a keen amateur photographer) and my sister scanned them in and made them positives. There are many people in the pictures and we can't work out who they are but there is one of three WW1 soldiers. I think maybe one of the soldiers could be Shuttleworth. He had his picture in the Boston newspaper (that was the picture I sent Joanne) when he joined up and I do know that the pictures were taken around 1920 when Shuttleworth was in uniform until 1921. I could be wrong and could be a complete red herring but I am going to try to post the image. The one I think might be Shuttleworth is the one on the right of the picture.

Incidentally, Dad donated his body for research and was accepted by the Sheffield University Medical School, There is a thanksgiving for 'donors' on 13 November at the University which we hope to attend. The links with Sheffield seem destined to continue.

Sorry, I can't upload the image - if anyone is interested email me karensudan@btinternet.com  

Hi Karen so Sorry to read about the loss of your father.  We would be very interested to see the picture if you would send it please  w.clift5@btinternet.com 

What time is the Thanksgiving to be held?

On 20/09/2013 at 17:55, Daven said:

He had one child with his second wife Florence.

Dorothy was born 1st March 1937, married Leonard Scarborough in 1958 and had 4 children :- Julie A born July Q 1959, Paul A born Jan Q 1962, David born July Q 1964 and Joanne Lyn born April 1972 although I suspect you know all of this more recent history ...........?

He would have been too old to join the forces for WW2.

I'll keep on digging and see if I can find anything else.

Regards

Hi daven,  my names Roseanne Seivwright and I am the grand daughter of Dorothy the daughter of Joanne Lyn. I am trying to find information on my family history the main reason being is that up until her 16th birthday my mother Joanne Lyn was raised as a Scarborough not knowing her birth certificate said Seivwright. No body seems to know why or how and where this name comes from. I know that my grand mother had a first husband Leonard Scarborough who was the father of Julie and Paul I have the understanding that David had a different farther and before my mother was born Dorothy had a little boy (Johnathan) who passed away as a small baby before welcoming my mother Joanne Lyn. My grand mother always claimed that my mother shared the same dad has Johnathan, Johnathan was mixed race Jamaican and my mom is not. I hope with this you can dig me up some information or if anybody has any information they think may be helpful, thank you. Roseanne. 

There appears to be another child Winston Solomon Seivwright born 1970 mothers maiden name is Scarborough - he died in 1970 - could this be one of yours.

Joanne Lyn gives born 1972 mothers maiden name Clift

Edited by smary

On 09/04/2021 at 11:59, smary said:

There appears to be another child Winston Solomon Seivwright born 1970 mothers maiden name is Scarborough - he died in 1970 - could this be one of yours.

Joanne Lyn gives born 1972 mothers maiden name Clift

Yes they is another child, this child was named Winston by his dad but my grandmother chose the name Johnathan and claimed his name was Johnathan. My grandmother also claims this child has the same biological farther has my mother Joanne Lyn, from what we understand ‘Winstons’ dad was of Jamaican back ground and my mother is white, what my grandmother claimed can not be true. 

There is these entries courtesy of Sheffield Indexers, apologies if these have already been mentioned:

CLIFT, Jessie helena (Wife of Shuttleworth, age 54).
     Died at 19 Scarborough Road; Buried on April 18, 1933 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 568, Section D of Darnall Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: from Sheffield Parish Officiating Minister Albert E Rose.

CLIFT, Shuttleworth (Widower, age 54, Canvasser, residing at 27 Cumberland Street).
    Married Florence BRIDGES, on April 28, 1934, by Alfred G Jones (Banns) at
    St Simon, Sheffield Centre.  Father's name is Henry Clift (deceased) (Brush Maker).
    Married in the presence of Irvine Cryer, Lucy Elizabeth Emily Cryer.
    Page No: 136 Reg No: 272
    Spouse Match or Similar Date Married             Household if Available            Surname Match if Available

CLIFT, Shuttleworth (Bachelor, age 21, Steeldresser, residing at 5 Newhall Rd).
    Married Jessie Helen TERRACE, on December 26, 1900, by B L Parkin, Vicar (Banns) at
    St Thomas, Brightside.  Father's name is Henry Clift (Brushmaker).
    Married in the presence of Alexander Rumage,Catherine Elizabeth Terrace.
    Page No: 235 Reg No: 469

Regards,

Duffems