Weston Park Bandstand in the 60's

Was anyone on here an hippy in the 60's and use to go to Weston Park to see the bands when they were on ?

I remember going with a friend one Sunday afternoon when there were two bands on, and there was a special guest......Pete Green of Fleetwood Mac fame.

Whenever I watch The Young Ones on TV and see Neil the hippy, I have to laugh.. I cant believe we use to be like that in the 60's, having said that, they were good times and the music was good with bands like: The Who, Led Zepplin, Hendrix, Free, to name but a few.

If only we could turn back time !!!!!!

I was at the Pete Green event.

Remember it well for two reasons, apart from the music.

the antics of some of the hippies in the audience - one pair just picked their way through the crowd, who were all sitting on the grass, occasionally these two would stop (they were a little distance apart) and just make weird hand and arm signals to each other - stuck in memory all this time.

the other reason, and I guess this was one of my first 'adult thoughts' (was only in my mid teens at the time) - incredible but very very loud music bang opposite the Childrens Hospital - I kept thinking what about the kids and visiting families in there who did not appreciate what was going on in the park - and feeling quite guilty about it.

Hi docmel,

Remember the hippie shop that use to sell all the Kaftans, beads and other associated

garments they use to wear - the shop was called Sexy Rexy's just off Pinstone Street ?

When you went in the shop there was a fragrance of Musk.

I organised those shows in Weston Park.I don't think we were that loud and we never got any complaints.

I have to agree with sirglyn, the music wasn't that loud as I remember.

What's the point in having rock concerts and straining your ears to hear what's being played............................... let it rip and turn the volume up that's what I say !!!!!

Hey I wasnt moaning or complaining just pointing out that for me it was an epiphany moment when I realised I was thinking abiut consequences etc. - enjoyed the music as much as anyone

any one remember the free open air concerts in Weston park during the late sixties it was our mini Woodstock on a Sunday afternoon. The atmosphere and feeling of being free still lives in my mind,oh for a time machine.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/woodstock-festival-where-did-the-peace-and-love-go/ the real thing for younger rock fans.

This is a long time before the 60's but an interesting snapshot of life in the suburbs of Sheffield at the beginning of the 20th century - specifically Weston Park.

How times have changed.

I organised those shows in Weston Park.I don't think we were that loud and we never got any complaints.

Thank you.

Appreciated them at the time and only fully realised how lucky we were later.