Lightning Strike - Now No Broadband

Hi all,

Last night there was an amazing lighting strike near my home, the flash and boom were practically instantaneous and I've never heard it so loud, I did check the house to make sure it hadn't hit us but could see no damage caused outside. However, we now have no broadband, at first the box was off completely (BT Smart Hub) no light, no life at all, I checked all fuses etc., and only the hub was affected, fortunately I still had the old hub so I plugged this in with the same result, no life, i then switched the power supply and life was once again revised to the hub, but the lights just flash orange then purple then orange in a continuous cycle. I've been through the online BT diagnostics without success and they say the next step is to call an engineer. However if the fault is not a BT one it will cost me £130.

To this end, does anyone know what else I can check to make sure before getting a BT engineer to look?

Many thanks

N

Don't know where you are but Morrisons at Halfway were hit earlier,they have no broadband either.So seems its down to broadband provider somehwere i would have thought.

To this end, does anyone know what else I can check to make sure before getting a BT engineer to look?

Good call keeping the old modem so you can eliminate any problems with the new one.

Try testing both modems plugged into the BT test socket (see here for details). If neither of them work connected to the test socket, particularly the old one which wasn't plugged in when the lightening struck, you'll be OK to call BT. Everything from the master socket outwards is BT's responsibility.

Some things first.

Have you checked the problem with BT as they can check the line to the home.

Have you changed filters.

Have you upgraded to fibre recently and did you receive a new modem, if so then the old modem may not work or be compatible although it will light up.

Have you tried the phone.

Good call keeping the old modem so you can eliminate any problems with the new one.

Try testing both modems plugged into the BT test socket (see here for details). If neither of them work connected to the test socket, particularly the old one which wasn't plugged in when the lightening struck, you'll be OK to call BT. Everything from the master socket outwards is BT's responsibility.

Thanks will try this later and let you know how I get on.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 17:24 ----------

Have you checked the problem with BT as they can check the line to the home.

I ran an online diagnostics with them, which said there were no faults detected with the line, I have not actually spoken to anyone at BT though.

Have you changed filters..

I have fibre with a Smart Hub which does not need a filter.

Have you upgraded to fibre recently and did you receive a new modem, if so then the old modem may not work or be compatible although it will light up..

This is a good shout and whilst I have not upgraded recently I do have a smart hub, I will set the old modem up with all the other paraphernalia that came with it.

Have you tried the phone.

The phone is working fine.

Thank you for ll your helpful comments

I have fibre with a Smart Hub which does not need a filter.

BT must have also upgraded the master socket then to a dual out which is internally filtered for broadband and phone.

This is a good shout and whilst I have not upgraded recently I do have a smart hub, I will set the old modem up with all the other paraphernalia that came with it.

Make sure any router you use is fibre compatible though otherwise it will light up but show a fault.

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone’s input it was very useful and saved me a bill from BT, I managed to connect my old home hub which is working fine, the smart hub still won’t work, so somehow it got fried when the lightning struck, I now need to try to get a new hub from BT.

Many thanks

N