Great Classic songs/singers and Timeless Oldies.

I'm just watching Frank Sinatra on BBC 4.

Some of the songs have been wonderful timeless songs that other artists have since performed.

Such as.

When i as 17

My way

Thats life

What a great singer he was.Such lovely songs.

.Do you have any special favourites singers or song choices that never seem to date?

Perhaps there is a certain favourite that you have shared with your parents.

Edited by janie48

When the swallows come back to Capistrano - the Ink Spots

When the swallows come back to Capistrano - the Ink Spots

My mother loved the Ink Spots I still have her CD I think that ones on it.i'll have to have a look.

Can't stand Sinatra, much prefer Italian/Americans Frankie Laine, Dean Martin and the best of the lot Jerry Vale. four of his best in my opinion.

Don't You Know

Go

Amore, Scusami

Ashamed

I'm also a Inkspots fan.

Edited by Sweatshopboy

Danny Boy is a lovely timeless song.

Danny Boy is a lovely timeless song.

But whose version is the best, without going through my collection I know I have it by Rose Marie and Slim Whitman but I like the version by Jerry Monroe I heard on You Tube.

But whose version is the best, without going through my collection I know I have it by Rose Marie and Slim Whitman but I like the version by Jerry Monroe I heard on You Tube.

Yes there are so many versions. I like most versions though,including the choirs singing it on THe Last Night of the Proms.

The best version i heard was my late mother singing it.Her Dad was Irish and sung it to her as a child,so i suppose the love of the song has been passed down.:cry:

Unlike you two, 'Danny Boy' makes me reach for the 'off' button. However, Johnny Cash did a solo version that I could listen to more than once.

I have a double LP bequethed from my Grandad, who died in 1983. It's one of those 70s Hallmark label in-the-rack-at-woolies-for-£1.99 jobs. It is called "Neil Sedaka's Greatest Hits" and it is probably the best piece of music I have ever owned. How on earth is this guy not revered in the same way as Sinatra or the Beatles? There is a song called "Forty Winks Away" which i as close to musical perfection as i've ever heard. The man is 72 now, and when he finally leaves us, it will be with barely a comment from the media. A one-hour special on ITV on saturday night immediately ,I say.

Edited by md00071

I have a double LP bequethed from my Grandad, who died in 1983. It's one of those 70s Hallmark label in-the-rack-at-woolies-for-£1.99 jobs. It is called "Neil Sedaka's Greatest Hits" and it is probably the best piece of music I have ever owned. How on earth is this guy not revered in the same way as Sinatra or the Beatles? There is a song called "Forty Winks Away" which i as close to musical perfection as i've ever heard. The man is 72 now, and when he finally leaves us, it will be with barely a comment from the media. A one-hour special on ITV on saturday night immediately ,I say.

I've got that record there were 3 albums of his released about same time and I've got them all, the guy is a legend who has actually been making records (and writing his own songs) longer than Cliff Richard. He was 16 when he recorded 'Oh, Carol' His version of Danny Boy combined with Bridge over troubled water is an all time classic. His later stuff is just as good as the early stuff as well

The hungry years

http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/redirect.jhtml?searchfor=NEIL+SEDAKA+YOUTUBE&cb=YR&n=77dd9441&ptnrS=YRxdm053YYgb&qid=ccb10709a7a2ea88ffffa935f2783731&action=pick&ss=sub&pn=2&st=bar&ptb=9F647A32-3BB0-4568-8FAC-D203A89F711A&pg=GGweb&ord=5&redirect=mPWsrdz9heamc8iHEhldEcgdjfjqpMajKYmz288FhTJpdQaKT91cM1G8M161i%2BPimSdOVuSBFvNXwP7fwBF1qQ%3D%3D&ct=AR&tpr=sc

Edited by denlin

I am sure that when he does leave us he will get all the plaudits he deserves as a singer/entertainer and songwriter. I am currently listening to the CD Neil Sedaka At His Best and would like to recommend two of my favourites from the fifties, I Go Ape and The Diary two classics.

I like Daniel O'Donnell's version, I mean yeah OK at 35 I'm too young to be in his main fan group, but I do like some of his songs.

The old songs like "Danny Boy" and the Skye Boat song (another one I really like) have been done by everyone and their Mother though over the years.