Sign in to follow this  

Pulp Fiction - What's in the case?

I've read that it's supposed to be Marsellus Wallace's soul. Could anyone clarify or say what they think is in there?

This might spoil the fun of debating, but I found this:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/19991223.html

(Some of the extra links on this page don't seem to work if you open it up though. The Samuel Jackson link is interesting).

I kind of used to think that it might be blocks of gold! Just because it has that yellowy/golden glow. But then that seems a bit daft because I don't think blocks of gold would really glow like that...

I thought it was kind of interesting that you never get to find out. But by the end of the film I'd forgotten about the briefcase. It's only when I watch it again and see the scene where Vincent opens it and is mesmerized that I remember that we never get to find out what's in it.

If it were Marsellus Wallace's soul then would that mean he'd become "a good guy" when he got it back?!

I can't remember if he gets the briefcase back before or after his "incident" with Zed and his gimp friends? Because obviously it's that scene where Butch goes back to help and then Marsellus agrees to let him go, suggesting he's got some integrity (and his soul back perhaps?!).

Ah so I was right..... 2 lights and some batteries! :D

Get in.... 1-0 to the big guy!

I don't want to read the link just yet.

I considered that but, if it was gold then I presume it would be a bit heavy to lug around.

There is the bit in the room where all the bullets miraculously miss them and this is seen as divine intervention as they are doing a good deed.

Also, I've read that it used to be believed that extraction of the soul took place via the back of the neck, with this in mind there seems to be many close ups of the plaster on the back of Marcellus' neck.

Does anyone recall what the combination of the briefcase is? Is it 666?

The only thing I can't understand is the bit in the cafe at the end where ringo says "Is that what I think it is?" and the answer is yes, but how would he know what it was?

I always thought that it was an unusual scene the first time you see Marcellus and it's from the back of his head showing the little plaster. I think it's an intriguing idea that he has lost his soul. I hadn't heard of the theory of the soul being stolen from the back of the neck before.

I always try to look at the combination on the briefcase but I thought the thumb of whoever's opening it (Vincent?) slightly obscures it.

I can remember that bit at the end where ringo says "Is that what I think it is"? I don't know how he would know what it was either. But maybe there's a subplot that we don't hear about where the gangsters all know that Marcellus has lost his soul?! So why are those young lads stealing it?

I'm going to have to watch it again and look more closely at everything!

When i was at uni, some guy came in my media class. Dunno who he was now, but anyway he came and he said the briefcase contained the soul and more heavenly things.

The plaster does say a lot!

then again... the film could be a big pile of ?s with no answer, cos a definate answer would stop us talking about it!

I think I heard somewhere that his soul is contained in the case. Can't remember where I heard it now though.

Originally posted by Lickable

then again... the film could be a big pile of ?s with no answer, cos a definate answer would stop us talking about it!

Exactly! A good film will always be talked about, especially if there is something in the plot that is ambiguous or people just don't "get". If something gets you thinking, it's worth watching even if the film is a bit pants. The Life of David Gale is a prime example of this, and I talked about it for weeks with a friend at work.

Try going to http://www.imdb.com and looking up Donnie Darko (another film that got my grey matter ticking) - there are people on that forum using mathematical/scientific formulae to try and understand things about the film!

The plaster was added to hide a little scar that Ving has on the back of his neck. So it's not as in-depth as people make out!

Anybody else begging for Tarantino to make the Vic & Vincent movie?

I heard that it was Marcellus's soul in the case, as someone pointed out the plaster on the back of his neck is how it was extracted. Also i was told that all the clocks in the film are stopped on the same time. I haven't checked this yet but it could be something to do with the soul theory and the story floating around in a vacuum till it's returned . . ?????

Still, it's probably the best film in the world ever!