Wifi repeater thingy - what do we really need for HD video?

Our Wifi works okay but we recently got a Smart box for the TV and it just isnt happy - its only 12 feet from our Wifi route but my Tablet reports 2 to 5Mbps next to the TV - and the box regulalry drops signal

Been looking at these 300 Mbps extender things for £15 (eg Netgear Mini / EX2700) but reading the brochures of these things it says you should use 750 Mbps (for £35+)

Wonder what folks think, do we really need the more expensive box? Or is there a better solution

I bought this: BT Broadband Extender

Plugs into the router and into a nearby socket. You can then put its pair anywhere.

"what do we really need for HD video?"

Honestly, a Wired ethernet connection, that is the only way to guarantee stability and the speed needed...

Extenders etc can help, but there's any number of things that could interfere or cause speed drop-outs and slow-downs, cabling it and connecting via Ethernet is the best option.

Get rid of the free router provided by your ISP, put it in modem mode and buy a decent quality router.

If the smart box has a wired connection, use that.

Do a wifi analysis to make sure you're not using the same channel as a neighbour.

If you need to boost the wifi at a remote part of your house, these are brilliant:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WPA4226-KIT-V1.2.html

Get rid of the free router provided by your ISP, put it in modem mode and buy a decent quality router.

That not really necessary these-days as most good ISP's also provide decent routers. BT, Plusnet and EE all provide top range AC routers with USB ports as well. But yes, as stated, the Ethernet cable is the best way.

Edited by apelike

That not really necessary these-days as most good ISP's also provide decent routers. BT, Plusnet and EE all provide top range AC routers with USB ports as well.

Ha ha, have a read at the various tech and Kodi forums and groups. No end of problems. Plusnet and Virgin's own user forums recommend sticking them in modem mode and buying something else.

Even VM's new one is rated poorly here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/virgin-media-super-hub-3

That a link to Virgin media hub only and its without USB ports.

I have had the EE one, and now the Plusnet one, my son has the TalkTalk one and they all perform well. I use Kodi and he uses Kodi and IPTV and no problems have been encountered.

Like a lot of things re Kodi its the user that has the problem not the hardware.

If you’re only getting 2-5mbs on your WiFi at that range then a WiFi extender won’t help. It only extends the reach of the same WiFi signal, it can’t improve it’s speed. First you need to test your speed with a wired connection to see if it is the WiFi signal that’s at fault or not. It could be your broadband speed that’s slow.

Powerline adaptors may work if it is the WiFi signal but if it’s the broadband speed they won’t help as again they can’t physically improve the speeds.

Edited by steroc

"what do we really need for HD video?"

Honestly, a Wired ethernet connection, that is the only way to guarantee stability and the speed needed...

Extenders etc can help, but there's any number of things that could interfere or cause speed drop-outs and slow-downs, cabling it and connecting via Ethernet is the best option.

Absolutely on the money there Ghozer.

If you want a socket fitted and tested professionally get in touch. Cat5e will xfer approximately 90mb/sec easily. Home network adaptors don't come close, no matter what it says on the box.

Looking at that speed reading though, you're probably suffering slow speed to the router, not the wifi signal from it. Is the speed still bad if connected directly into the test socket of the master?

Edited by walkertelecoms

If the smart box has a wired connection, use that.

Do a wifi analysis to make sure you're not using the same channel as a neighbour.

If you need to boost the wifi at a remote part of your house, these are brilliant:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WPA4226-KIT-V1.2.html

Hi alchresearch,

I would like to get rid of the TT Huawei YouView router - know of any alternatives that cater for YouView (but wonder if that is just hype as I use their (TT) wired plugs connections to one of the 4 ehternet ports anyway). Currently on Super Package using ADSL2 faceplate (copper to fibre cabinet at bottom of street).

TP Link Archer range would be my recommendation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tp-link+archer+vr900&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=186554830269&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17557441082682955025&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046594&hvtargid=kwd-184248308692&ref=pd_sl_13e5syr6le_e

I use a TP Link router because the Virgin supplied "super" hub won't reach parts of my house through solid thick brick walls. Call me old fashioned, but I think a router should have external aerials.

Edited by alchresearch

TP Link Archer range would be my recommendation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tp-link+archer+vr900&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=186554830269&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17557441082682955025&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046594&hvtargid=kwd-184248308692&ref=pd_sl_13e5syr6le_e

I use a TP Link router because the Virgin supplied "super" hub won't reach parts of my house through solid thick brick walls. Call me old fashioned, but I think a router should have external aerials.

That surprises me as I can pick mine up over the road, slightly round the corner through at least 2 brick walls... and lots of open air out-side...