Are stereotypes always negative?

It's this story about a Manchester United chant that's got me thinking.

Manchester United: Romelu Lukaku chant is 'racist' - Kick It Out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

Find the lyrics yourself - it's a family forum ;)

They aren't mean though, they're rather supportive over all. Racist? I'm not sure.

Most stereotypes are negative I'll admit, others lazy excuses for banter, or just mean. For example, and this has happened to me umpteen times when I've been down south, once people realise I'm from Sheffield I get the all-yorkshiremen-are-tight routine. Now I am tight but that's not the point. If the same "gags" were used on a Jewish person it would be anti Semitic wouldn't it rather than "Bantz". I cant think of many others to be honest - polish people are hard workers maybe (I found this to be true on the whole but it can't be the case for everyone).

It's this story about a Manchester United chant that's got me thinking.

Manchester United: Romelu Lukaku chant is 'racist' - Kick It Out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

Find the lyrics yourself - it's a family forum ;)

They aren't mean though, they're rather supportive over all. Racist? I'm not sure.

Most stereotypes are negative I'll admit, others lazy excuses for banter, or just mean. For example, and this has happened to me umpteen times when I've been down south, once people realise I'm from Sheffield I get the all-yorkshiremen-are-tight routine. Now I am tight but that's not the point. If the same "gags" were used on a Jewish person it would be anti Semitic wouldn't it rather than "Bantz". I cant think of many others to be honest - polish people are hard workers maybe (I found this to be true on the whole but it can't be the case for everyone).

I think that the chant is inappropriate but not racist.

The snowflakes have done a really good job at getting anything they dont like banned by saying its derogatory or prejudice....they shout racist, sexist, fascist, nazi, transphobic. Its getting ridiculous

P.s: I can see this thread getting shut down pretty quickly :suspect:

Edited by SkylinePhoto

To be positive you have to be original.

Utter garbage. Many other players have had stuff sung about them and its getting to the stage where you cant say anything. What I find funny is there was no mention of his race in the chant, and all these plums hopping up and down about it need to find better ways to allocate their time.

To answer the question not all stereotypes are negative and most exist for a reason. I myself am a fine fried chicken connoisseur, and as we know certain groups of people love their fried chicken. That's not racist in anyway, it's an observation and we enjoy it together. Stereotypes will always exist

Man U fans are a bit odd, in that they have a history of singing close to the knuckle stuff about their own players.

Remember the South Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung?

"He shoots, he scores,

He eats your Labradors,

Park Ji-Sung, Park Ji-Sung"

or

"Park, Park wherever you may be,

They eat dogs in your own country.."

Odd.

'Kick it out' must be desperate to find something to be offended about, you get that a lot from these sort of groups today, they have to bubble themselves up a bit when things are slow, the snowflakes and jobsworths are creating a humourless society, robots won't take over in the future so much as people will become robots.

Edited by Michael_W

'Kick it out' must be desperate to find something to be offended about, you get that a lot from these sort of groups today, the snowflakes and jobsworths are creating a humourless society, robots won't take over in the future so much as people will become robots.

They think that only their views should be allowed.

They think that only their views should be allowed.

Aye thought crime .... coming soon ;)

'Kick it out' must be desperate to find something to be offended about, you get that a lot from these sort of groups today, they have to bubble themselves up a bit when things are slow, the snowflakes and jobsworths are creating a humourless society, robots won't take over in the future so much as people will become robots.

Aww, using the new Alt right "snowflake" term to demean anyone who holds an opposing view.

If you had made an ounce of effort to read the story you'd realise that songs about black mens cocks are just the same type of racism that Ron Atkinson uses when he talks of "lazy *******" or when he thinks he's great for calling three of the best footballers of their generation "the three degrees" just because they happened to be black. Nobody ever called the Scholes, Beckham and Giggs the "three whiteys".

Personally, I've never heard the chant. If nobody had made a fuss it would have probably just gone away. But, it still doesn't make any of stereotyping chant right. Brighton - gays, Rotherham - Peodos - etc. It may have been seen as "fun banter " in't' t'olden' t'days. But times have changed and people should grow up.

Aww, using the new Alt right "snowflake" term to demean anyone who holds an opposing view.

If you had made an ounce of effort to read the story you'd realise that songs about black mens cocks are just the same type of racism that Ron Atkinson uses when he talks of "lazy *******" or when he thinks he's great for calling three of the best footballers of their generation "the three degrees" just because they happened to be black. Nobody ever called the Scholes, Beckham and Giggs the "three whiteys".

Personally, I've never heard the chant. If nobody had made a fuss it would have probably just gone away. But, it still doesn't make any of stereotyping chant right. Brighton - gays, Rotherham - Peodos - etc. It may have been seen as "fun banter " in't' t'olden' t'days. But times have changed and people should grow up.

I think someone has already pointed out that his colour isnt mentioned in the chant.

Its the snowflake/SJW's who are bringing colour into it.

Guest makapaka

I think you should grow up to be honest - you have added loads of different issues which are totally unconnected to justify your faux offence.

Its all getting too much now , where you cannot give a descriptive to anyone eg lofty ,shorty, curly, baldy, ginger , blondie , stumpy , skinny, fatty ,etc . Someone , somewhere wants to jump on anything and make an issue of it .