Which pc upgrade?

I have an old computer

Socket 775 Q6700, 4 gig of DDR800, 850w psu, A really sucky gfxI can watch all my media on the big screen so ill probably keep that.

Ive had issues with it recently and considered replacing it all but ive sorted the issues and its running reliably again so want to keep using it and tbh i cant afford a spangly new pc

Which upgrades would get me a few more years use out of it?

I was thinking of a QX cpu or DDR1200 ram or even an SSD.

If it was your money what would you spend it on to get the best performance boost for the best value for money?

Thanks in advance.

SSD, a GPU and some RAM if your board can support it... the Q6700 is still a very capable CPU...

SSD is where my money would go.

Cheers. Are there any you would recommend?

---------- Post added 06-09-2017 at 06:46 ----------

SSD, a GPU and some RAM if your board can support it... the Q6700 is still a very capable CPU...

GPU im not to fussed about. As i said the one ive got (passive cooled with 1gb ram) does what I need as I only use it to watch my media on the tv

As for ram my board can take 8 but im running windows 7 32 bit.

Is it worth upgrading to 64 bit? Id like to stick with win 7 as i like it and im used to it but would the extra 4 gig of ram coupled with a 64 bit os make a difference?

Cheers. Are there any you would recommend?

Depends on your budget and size of SSD needed.

Depends on your budget and size of SSD needed.

Not sure about budget really as ive no clue what they cost lol

However, As Ill want to replace the c drive and have it usable (when i say usable i mean big enough to hold all my programs and my usual c drive stuff) it will need to be pretty large. My current c drive is only a 640GB so ideally id want around a 512gb ssd.

Im happy to keep my two storage drives as standard hdd's though.

Personally I would keep the CPU, up the memory to 8GB,get a 250GB SSD and change to Win64.

A good 250GB SSD (Samsung or Sandisk) will set you back £75 and use this as the main C: OS drive then use the others as storage or programs if space gets limited. Not sure the size of memory sticks you have at the moment or what the MB would take but if you can use what you have already then keep the same speed. You wouldn't benefit much from going higher anyway. You will benefit though if you increase the memory to 8GB and change to a 64bit system. Could be upgraded for less than £100.

How many memory slots do you have and what is in them at the moment?

Personally I would keep the CPU, up the memory to 8GB,get a 250GB SSD and change to Win64.

A good 250GB SSD (Samsung or Sandisk) will set you back £75 and use this as the main C: OS drive then use the others as storage or programs if space gets limited. Not sure the size of memory sticks you have at the moment or what the MB would take but if you can use what you have already then keep the same speed. You wouldn't benefit much from going higher anyway. You will benefit though if you increase the memory to 8GB and change to a 64bit system. Could be upgraded for less than £100.

How many memory slots do you have and what is in them at the moment?

Thank you

After seeing your adivce if located two more sticks of 2gb of the same ram I have got

I have 4gig installed in two slots, I have two slots free and my board can take up to 8gb

Ive also got hold of a copy of Win7 64bit so when everything arrives Ill be installing the ram and the new os.

As for the ssd ill have to put that on hold for a few weeks but it will be my next purchase. Thanks again for the tips

Interestingly though, Although my ram is rated at 1066 (pc8500) its only actually running at 800mhz

Would anyone be able to tell me why?

Id like to use the full potential of the ram but cant understand why it seems to be essentially under clocked?

Thank you

After seeing your adivce if located two more sticks of 2gb of the same ram I have got

I have 4gig installed in two slots, I have two slots free and my board can take up to 8gb

Ive also got hold of a copy of Win7 64bit so when everything arrives Ill be installing the ram and the new os.

As for the ssd ill have to put that on hold for a few weeks but it will be my next purchase. Thanks again for the tips

Interestingly though, Although my ram is rated at 1066 (pc8500) its only actually running at 800mhz

Would anyone be able to tell me why?

Id like to use the full potential of the ram but cant understand why it seems to be essentially under clocked?

If the other ram is slower it will slow them all down to the slowest speed, then there's other things like board support, or it may be that you have to set it manually in the BIOS

If the other ram is slower it will slow them all down to the slowest speed, then there's other things like board support, or it may be that you have to set it manually in the BIOS

The new ram is 1066 same as my current ram

This is my board

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336

The new ram is 1066 same as my current ram

This is my board

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336

What RAM is it?

First thing I would do, is check it's on the memory support list...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X48-DS4-rev-13#support-doc

Then, i'd be trying to set the speed manually in the BIOS....

What RAM is it?

First thing I would do, is check it's on the memory support list...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X48-DS4-rev-13#support-doc

Then, i'd be trying to set the speed manually in the BIOS....

Cheers for that

The ram is

OCZ Gold Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 Memory 1066MHz CL5 2.1V

I seems its not on the support list, not sure if thats a deal breaker, it always seems to have worked fine though.