Would you recognise branded clothes ?

Obviously some people have genuine style and others like me have none.

But i've been surfing the online auction sites and names keep cropping up alongside goods which suddenly inflates the price

Herve Leger, Laboutin etc etc.

Seriously if it didn't have a badge with Nike on or Rocha stitched to it.

Would you recognise it on a person in the street?

Can you tell an Armani suit from an Armando one ?

I saw a lady in Argos today carrying a DKNY handbag,a fake obviously designed to impress yet everything else she wore looked it came from Primark in quality and appearance which did spoil the effect it perhaps could have had.

These days I wouldn't recognise most brands/labels. I can spot a well made shirt or suit, and I recognise good shoes, but "in vogue" mass produced labels don't interest me.

Back in my twenties I bought almost all my clothes from Robert Brady and one other similar independent shop, I wasn't interested in any particular label but wanted quality. I also liked the fact that there was little chance any one else would be out in the same gear.

Nowadays I wear anything.

There is a famous tale of a clothing factory which lost the contract with whichever brand it was.

They carried on making the clothes and selling them through illicit channels...

Apparently they were caught because their quality was too high.

Obviously some people have genuine style and others like me have none.

But i've been surfing the online auction sites and names keep cropping up alongside goods which suddenly inflates the price

Herve Leger, Laboutin etc etc.

Seriously if it didn't have a badge with Nike on or Rocha stitched to it.

Would you recognise it on a person in the street?

Can you tell an Armani suit from an Armando one ?

I saw a lady in Argos today carrying a DKNY handbag,a fake obviously designed to impress yet everything else she wore looked it came from Primark in quality and appearance which did spoil the effect it perhaps could have had.

.. can't say that I've ever been impressed with a label or a tag or a name be it clothing or anything else. I might like the look of something a person is wearing but most of that is due to the body it clothes and I can appreciate the look and sound of high end cars but impressed, meh!

A DKNY bag in primark!

.. can't say that I've ever been impressed with a label or a tag or a name be it clothing or anything else. I might like the look of something a person is wearing but most of that is due to the body it clothes.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of big flashy labels that scream ' here I am, wearing a brand! '

At the same time, you see people who have obviously got a bob or two to spend, with decent clothes on, but look bad due to their sour faces and using the car too much . Apart from shoes and black dresses, skirts, trousers etc, a lot of my stuff is from second hand shops. I buy something because I like it and the fit, not because of the label.

I'd recognise Laboutines as there's not many the have the same style that I have seen, just as I would with Michael Korrs or Vivienne westwood. Lacoste or Armani I wouldnt know the difference.

I've recently some heavily promoted Michael Korrs watches, they have a certain look to them but i couldn't recognise one on someones wrist. Just as people have seen mine and appreciated the look without knowing the brand.

Yet you occasionally see films where they're being snooty about last years or even last seasons clothes.

I thought Laboutine were red soles, but Kurt Geiger now do some with red soles. But i could be wrong.

You can tell the cut of some quality clothes on people,i can differentiate with some of my suits,i know which one is Asda and which isn't.

But i recently looked to purchased an EA7(Armani) t shirt for someone and i've held better quality in Sports Direct, so obviously the EA7 logo is the attraction.

But i recently looked to purchased an EA7(Armani) t shirt for someone and i've held better quality in Sports Direct, so obviously the EA7 logo is the attraction.
T-shirts are commodity items, made to a price, to amplify, diversify and exploit the power of the brand. Same for every other 'brand', with everything not 'core business': it'd be a whole different kettle of fish if you were looking to buy a (non-commodity, £££££) suit or dress by Armani.

I do brands, a lot (generally on the basis that you buy twice when you buy cheap -which still holds true- and that, if you buy 'something', then you buy it from people with strong repute for making good 'somethings', not a generic product with an aspirational badge stuck on it).

But I'd never even think of spending £££ on a 'genuine' Armani or Chanel or <big brand> T-shirt. It's pointless.

I'm all for people buying them or wearing them, but if we were in a meeting could you tell my suit was Armani or say a Skopes branded quality suit ?

I once attended a sales meeting about 8 years ago and out of 6 guys 3 were wearing the same £50 Asda suit(including me which was why i recognised it).

I do like the orginal Ralph Lauren Polo shirt (the one with the small polo player) and I normally treat myself to one at Christmas.

Rest of the time I am not massively bothered, just whatever looks smart and well made. I don't buy supermarket clothes or Primark though.

It never bothered me. I used to buy Jordan basketball shoes exclusively and even that stopped at some point. What matters to me far more is the quality of the garment and what the price is. For work I am usually in chinos (M&S, Farah, whatever I can get my hands on that is comfortable and well made) and shirts (Double Two usually, only ones that make shirts that fit me well and have a good quality).

When not at work I wear anything I feel comfy in, whether it is Tesco own brand or some sort of spiffy number from a posh shop.

For my suits I am quite limited by my sizing and that is a shame as I would like to own a nice Armani at some point.

Depends. I can tell a good quality Crombie style coat from a bad one but not necessarily if it's a genuine Crombie or say a Paul Smith "copy."

Same for Harrington jackets, Perfectos, flight jackets, trench coats etc all of which are still made by the original companies but also by designer names and high-street brands.

A Ben Sherman Harrington is about 90 quid, a proper Baracuta nearer 300. I'd be able to tell from the lining if it was a Baracuta but not from across a bar if the chap or chapess is wearing it.

Edited by Pinkman