When did you last check your car lights?

I spend a lot of time driving and see so many cars with missing lights. I have informed drivers where possible that they are down to one brake light and they seem surprised. How long does it take to walk around your car and check your lights and tyres?

I spend a lot of time driving and see so many cars with missing lights. I have informed drivers where possible that they are down to one brake light and they seem surprised. How long does it take to walk around your car and check your lights and tyres?

:huh:

Hmmm... why wouldn't they be surprised?

These are probably the same people who don't realise that their car has indicators! :roll:

Don't most cars now tell you if you have a light out via a warning light or message on the dashboard. The last 3 cars I've had did.

Unless you possess extraordinary contortional qualities similar to what you may expect to see in an 'X-Men' mutant, or maybe a member of Cirque du Soleil, it's spectacularly difficult to keep one foot on the brake pedal, whilst at the same time walking round to the back of your car to check the brake lights are working.

I tried this the other day and, finding it so darned impossible, I had to call upon the talent of my glamorous assistant/girlfriend.

Unless you possess extraordinary contortional qualities similar to what you may expect to see in an 'X-Men' mutant, or maybe a member of Cirque du Soleil, it's spectacularly difficult to keep one foot on the brake pedal, whilst at the same time walking round to the back of your car to check the brake lights are working.

I tried this the other day and, finding it so darned impossible, I had to call upon the talent of my glamorous assistant/girlfriend.

You'd think by now something as simple as a 'test lights' button would be fitted. All lights come on so you can easily run around the car and check if any aren't on. Sorted and no glamorous assistant needed.

What is the fine for having a brake light out? Bearing in mind that the centre brake light on your car does not count as it’s not counted on the M.O.T.

Is the argument that your brake lights are like any light bulb, you walk into a room put the light on walk out put the light off, walk in again and the bulb blow’s, could this be classed as the same as putting your foot on the brake pedal and how do you know the lights gone you cannot keep stopping every five minutes to check them, my Ford tells me a light is out but not all cars have this facility, I carry a spare bulb in the car then if I am stopped I just say, be polite, I know officer just called to get one and fit it when I get home, it’s worked before.

I have that system on my lorry. I pick up trailer press the button and I think I have 3 minutes to walk round and check all lights (it doesn't take 3 minutes though). Side lights, headlights, full beam, indicators (don't flash but will light up), brake lights then fog lights.

Prior to this system I used a piece of wood (or similar) for the brake lights.

For the car it's easy enough anyway. I'm fortunate that Where I park now I have a reflection off a window, prior to that I simply asked someone to look at brake lights. I am in so much of a habit with it (my wife says ocd) I just do it anyway.

Hmmm...

... not having a glamorous assistant/girlfriend :( I have to be a little more inventive!

Top Tip! :idea:

I've found that an old long handled brush/broom pressed on the brake pedal and wedged against the back of the driver's seat does the job just as well!

But, unlike having a glamorous assistant, it's not much use for any other little jobs that I need help with from time to time! :heyhey:

What is the fine for having a brake light out? Bearing in mind that the centre brake light on your car does not count as it’s not counted on the M.O.T.

Is the argument that your brake lights are like any light bulb, you walk into a room put the light on walk out put the light off, walk in again and the bulb blow’s, could this be classed as the same as putting your foot on the brake pedal and how do you know the lights gone you cannot keep stopping every five minutes to check them, my Ford tells me a light is out but not all cars have this facility, I carry a spare bulb in the car then if I am stopped I just say, be polite, I know officer just called to get one and fit it when I get home, it’s worked before.

If its connected it must work. So if it's just a blown bulb it will fail (or if more than 50% of the bulbs in a LED strip are blown).

however if it's disconnected from the wiring loom it's not testable.

I alwys found the easiest way to check rear lights was reverse to a wall and look in the mirrors at night. Mind you the BMW and Fords I have had in the last ten years all have had light fault indicators.

You'd think by now something as simple as a 'test lights' button would be fitted. All lights come on so you can easily run around the car and check if any aren't on. Sorted and no glamorous assistant needed.
Cars have always had such a system fitted.

Its common name is "rear view mirror", to be used judiciously when reversing towards a highly reflective surface (or not so reflective, when in darkness) and then applying brakes.

;)

Hmmm...

... not having a glamorous assistant/girlfriend :( I have to be a little more inventive!

Top Tip! :idea:

I've found that an old long handled brush/broom pressed on the brake pedal and wedged against the back of the driver's seat does the job just as well!

But, unlike having a glamorous assistant, it's not much use for any other little jobs that I need help with from time to time! :heyhey:

I have found that reversing up to a wall and putting on my brakes gives me a good visual indication that all is well. A top tip is to wait until it is dark. Sometimes you can even do this whilst on the move.

Its not as easy these days to just get a new bulb and put it in yourself so people choose to ignore it however I found the answer get a passenger,neighbour,friend ,whatever to check with you when you notice a bulb out if you are in the sheffield area go to Motormania they will fit you a new bulb for free or Halfords will do it but they charge. Police used to stop people years ago to tell them (it's happened to me ) but they don't now it's up to you