Could Britex cause an early General Election?

Iv read with interest on the BBC website that with the new court ruling that states that MPs must vote on Britex before the Prime Minster can start on negotiations on leaving the EU.

The government want to appeal this but this will causes delays and make things even harder it has been said it would be easier to call an General Election and start from fresh .

Is this because the government is finding it too complex an issues or to give them more of an mandate to get Britex though Parliament?

I can see Nigel getting is suit back on

Iv read with interest on the BBC website that with the new court ruling that states that MPs must vote on Britex before the Prime Minster can start on negotiations on leaving the EU.

The government want to appeal this but this will causes delays and make things even harder it has been said it would be easier to call an General Election and start from fresh .

Is this because the government is finding it too complex an issues or to give them more of an mandate to get Britex though Parliament?

Yes it could very well cause a General Election, the problem for the country being that the Labour party are unelectable. Thus the Tories, the most anti EU party may well increase their majority. On the other hand, there was a massive swing to the Lib Dems at the Witney by election. The Lib Dems are the most pro Europe party, so it`d be interesting. I don`t think anyone, even I, think the process of leaving the EU could be reversed without a second referendum, but if there was a mandate for doing so at a General Election that would be even more interesting. I would think under those circumstances a second referendum, once the terms of exit were clearer, would be a distinct possibility. Remember, whatever the pro Brexit lobby may say, there wasn`t actually a large majority for Leave, it was 52/48. The Leavers would hate a second referendum under any circumstances, but particularly when the terms for leaving were known, because most people think they won`t be very good for Britain, and that is not what they said during the first campaign. Maybe they have a point about a second referendum, after all, a vote is undemocratic, or it is according to them.

Edited by Justin Smith

It has been handled very poorly.

If we had a second referendum, a general election would not be needed, but perhaps May is thinking about saving her own skin and not what is best for the country?

Another general election could mean more Tory MPs in Westminster.

Yes it could very well cause a General Election, the problem for the country being that the Labour party are unelectable. Thus the Tories, the most anti EU party may well increase their majority. On the other hand, there was a massive swing to the Lib Dems at the Witney by election. The Lib Dems are the most pro Europe party, so it`d be interesting. I don`t think anyone, even I, think the process of leaving the EU could not be reversed without a second referendum, but if there was a mandate for doing so at a General Election that would be even more interesting. I would think under those circumstances a second referendum, once the terms of exit were clearer, would be a distinct possibility. Remember, whatever the pro Brexit lobby may say, there wasn`t actually a large majority for Leave, it was 52/48.

The terms of exit can't be negotiated until we invoke article 50 and once it's invoked we are leaving. Its not possible to negotiate our exit terms and then vote on them.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 18:11 ----------

If we had a second referendum, a general election would not be needed, but perhaps May is thinking about saving her own skin and not what is best for the country?

And a few UKIP MP's

What about the huge swing to the Lib Dems in Witney ?

Yes it could very well cause a General Election, the problem for the country being that the Labour party are unelectable. Thus the Tories, the most anti EU party may well increase their majority. On the other hand, there was a massive swing to the Lib Dems at the Witney by election. The Lib Dems are the most pro Europe party, so it`d be interesting. I don`t think anyone, even I, think the process of leaving the EU could not be reversed without a second referendum, but if there was a mandate for doing so at a General Election that would be even more interesting. I would think under those circumstances a second referendum, once the terms of exit were clearer, would be a distinct possibility. Remember, whatever the pro Brexit lobby may say, there wasn`t actually a large majority for Leave, it was 52/48.

The most anti EU party Justin is errrmm .... UKIP !

I can't see a general election or another referendum any time soon, the decision to Leave has been made and some bad loser/s from the Remain side can't cope with that fact :D

The terms of exit can't be negotiated until we invoke article 50 and once it's invoked we are leaving. Its not possible to negotiate our exit terms and then vote on them.

Let`s get this straight, we won`t know the terms for leaving till it`s too late not to leave ? Does anyone else think that`s bizarre ? I can`t help thinking things could be changed with the right attitude.

What about the huge swing to the Lib Dems in Witney ?

I think that they would do very well, but not well enough.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 18:19 ----------

Let`s get this straight, we won`t know the terms for leaving till it`s too late not to leave ? Does anyone else think that`s bizarre ? I can`t help thinking things could be changed with the right attitude.

EU rules over membership are such that it discourages countries from leaving, that makes sense.

That's the way the EU worded their article 50 rule, until its invoked they won't negotiate and once its invoked it can't be retracted, the idea was to deter members from leaving, that alone is a good reason to leave.

The most anti EU party Justin is errrmm .... UKIP !

I can't see a general election or another referendum any time soon, the decision to Leave has been made and some bad loser/s from the Remain side can't cope with that fact :D

You are correct of course, but UKIP have never made a significant advance at any GE. That said, prior to the last GE only a very small majority of people would have put the EU as their most important issue, or even, for most people, in the top three. Now it`s all different, and, in my mind, shows how this whole thing is almost a manufactured obsession. Cameron should never have pandered to it, in fact he has caused it, for his own Tory party reasons.....

The most anti EU party Justin is errrmm .... UKIP ! I can't see a general election or another referendum any time soon, the decision to Leave has been made and some bad loser/s from the Remain side can't cope with that fact :D

I dont see it like that at all.

Have another referendum, if its vote leave again, then just trigger A50 straight away.

All this delay is not good, its being delayed because May hasnt got a clue.