Sheffield 10k marathon

hi does anyone know the deadline day to sign up for this thanks 10k run october 30th thanks

From the event website...

Closing date:

The closing date for entries to an Event will be the earlier of:

(i) 9am on the Friday preceding the date of the Event or;

(ii) the date on which all places in the Event have been filled, such date shall be confirmed on the Website.

https://sheffield10k2016.eventdesq.com/reg/types

Should be a good one. My OH has entered and I might join her.

btw / fwiw, a marathon is 26.2 miles not 10k. Both painful in their own ways mind!

what does fwiw mean?

For What It's Worth?

Sadly, it's on the same day as Worksop Half Marathon, so I won't be able to make it. Hope next year it doesn't conflict with any other races!

I'm signed up for this too. My first official 10K. What is a respectable time for a reasonably fit 54 yo at 11 stones? My practice times are 3 miles = 23 mins (flat) and 6 miles = 54 mins (all terrain).

I'm signed up for this too. My first official 10K. What is a respectable time for a reasonably fit 54 yo at 11 stones? My practice times are 3 miles = 23 mins (flat) and 6 miles = 54 mins (all terrain).

Your practice times are very good I think! Well done! :)

Sub 60 minutes is considered good for anyone who isn't a serious runner, in my view anyway. I think sub 45m is athlete territory.

Finishing at all is good though! It's a long way and hard work!

Your practice times are very good I think! Well done! :)

Sub 60 minutes is considered good for anyone who isn't a serious runner, in my view anyway. I think sub 45m is athlete territory.

Finishing at all is good though! It's a long way and hard work!

If I can keep the injuries under control (pulls and tugs on previously dormant muscles) I am hoping to break 50 mins for 10k but i have to remember i'm 54 and have not run for a good couple of years. Did have the ticker checked recently and no problems found though.

Just out of interest and no offence meant, do you speak from a position of experience or from what you have read?

If I can keep the injuries under control (pulls and tugs on previously dormant muscles) I am hoping to break 50 mins for 10k but i have to remember i'm 54 and have not run for a good couple of years. Did have the ticker checked recently and no problems found though.

Just out of interest and no offence meant, do you speak from a position of experience or from what you have read?

Long and hard experience! :)

I've done (I think) 15 half marathons, a couple of full ones, and countless 10k's. I'm doing this one too.

I'm not fast, and never will be. I'm 40, and what I think would be politely called "rugby player build" (Or impolitely "a bit of a beer gut"). I train as best as I can, but work and family life always interferes, so I probably don't get as quick as I could, but I always make it to the end.

Generally 55m for a 10k for me, which I'm happy with. :)

Thanks Andy. Many years ago i damaged my knee ligaments training for the Sheffield marathon, which kept me out of running / football and even walking for many months. I'm very cautious with my "pain barriers" now. Nursing a bit of a calf pull at the moment but did a flat 3 miles in 23 mins earlier today quite comfortably after a weeks rest.

Agree , times and target sound good. I`d recommend trying to do plenty of training off roads, even if it`s on the grass in the park as this will lessen the strains. Also getting a foam roller can really help and doing a bit of stretching and strengthening.

Parkrun is also worth a visit or two and will give you an accurate idea of a target as it`s always run as a 5km time trial.

Think I`ve done 23 half marathons , so far, and a few longer ones. :gag:

I`d like to do this one but the cost is pretty high imo.