Sheffield Forum

Any Heavy rock fans on here ?

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

22-02-2015, 01:38   #1
Mooks

Total Posts: 651
Hi guys just wondered if there's any heavy rock fans on here. Been into this since l was 17 lm now 53 and still in awe with the quality around now. Beenthrough the glam phase many years ago plus the hair metal band when l had hair lol.
Now lm well into heavy prog bands Evergrey, Symphony X, Vanden Plas, Dream Theater, but also like Primal fear, Allen/lande etc etc..
Not into so called indie rock that to me is just for teens lol..
Cheers
Mooks
22-02-2015, 02:02   #2
ronthenekred

Total Posts: 5,854
Never got into Hair/Lycra rock, some excellent musicians admittedly but the music was terrible. Moog/synthesizer rock also didn't appeal with the exception maybe of a few pieces by YES and a couple of others. Thrash is also a no no for me unless I can isolate and listen to the drum riffs..
22-02-2015, 02:54   #3
hisbuff

Total Posts: 45
Yep me I have been listening to it for 30+ years an still love it I have my old favourites and I have defunct bands that I defend tenaciously I CAN listen to other genres but I'm a rocker at heart
23-02-2015, 13:15   #4
leviathan13

Total Posts: 4,630
Send a message via MSN to leviathan13
Rock/metal all the way for me!!!

Started on your well known stuff - classics like Hendrix, Led Zep, Deep Purple mixed in with the newer stuff of metallica, GNR etc.

Can't really say I'm 'into' prog metal - only proggy band I really like are Dream Theater (Floyd go without saying, obviously!).

Due to various events in my life, I've found myself going down a much heavier route, lately. Loving the likes of Gojira, The Black Dahlia Murder, Yob, Dragged Into Sunlight. However, I've just got my tickets for Corrosion of Conformity and Hirax in Manchester. Although, 2013 was a werid year for gigs as I saw Dropkick Murphys, then Devin Townsend, Children of Bodom, Alabama3 and The Wonderstuff!

The best on the planet, in my most humble of opinions, is Mastodon. No one can touch them musically right now, for me.

I started my rock/metal journey at around 13 and I'm now 33. My dad said it'd just be a phase when I was 14... but what a phase it is!!!
_______
I was quickly overtaken... by the angry spirits of Ronald and Nancy Reagan...

Psychic warfare is real!
23-02-2015, 15:31   #5
GUZZIOWL

Total Posts: 5,370
Eighup Guys ....Tha Can't beat Rock / Metal ...I'm now 61 years old ..and have seen countless Bands over the Years .....including ...Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin , Deep Purple , Megadeth , Type O Negative , Ensiferum , Anthrax , Amon Amarth , Children Of Bodom ,
...etc , etc ..
I was on Channel 4's Big Breakfast when Deep Purple were on ( i rode to Lock Keepers Cottage ) on a Kawasaki 750 in Bad Weather ( Late October in a Gale ) 😃.
My Youngest Son ( 27) ...is called Gary Moore 😊....
Still got the Hair , wear Jeans & T Shirt regularly and Biking after over 40 years ..never had a Car Licence ..( why change ) 😊.
I rember the Nelson Pub when Strongbow was 17p a Pint ....Spent many hours in the Buccaneer and t' Wap ...Keep on Rockin'
...spent over half an hour talking to David Ellefson ( Megadeth) and went to the Pub with Petri Lindroos ( Ensiferum) .
Keep on Rockin' Guys .....Life's too Short eh ..
If any of you are on F / B ..feel free to message me .on S /F ...GUZZI 😊
_______
C.O.P.D Warrior

Last edited by GUZZIOWL; 23-02-2015 at 15:36.
23-02-2015, 17:34   #6
Mooks

Thanks guys so there is a few hey Guzzi 61 eh thought l was the eldest on here . Lucky to have seen purple etc. Wish l could have found my late bros knebworth led zep programme be worth a few quid now.
Still wear jeans t shirts etc just bald as a ping-pong ball now at least l save on combs lol.
Only lived here since 2008 been to the corp twice once to see House of Lords only took me since 1986 to see them lol
As l said well into heavy prog think Evergrey new album hymns for the broken is there best yet..
And Vanden plas newie Chronicles of the immortals is simply mind blowing..
But as l hate the saying heavy metal...one of the best l have heard is Feinsteins - Third Wish...OK its not new but jeez what a album by dios cousin..
Cheers keep the faith guys

---------- Post added 23-02-2015 at 18:13 ----------

If Evergrey..vanden plas..Symphony x ever play Sheffield would love to meet up with you. As l said l have hardly any friends since l moved
here who like rock music my step sons into RnB rap etc..yuk !!!

Last edited by Mooks; 23-02-2015 at 18:09.
23-02-2015, 18:39   #7
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,205
Wouldn't call myself a fan, but I am quite partial to a bit of good metal in various guises. I never got into the "old-school" metal of the eighties and nineties though, growing up in the 90s I used to listen to a lot of house, rap, punk, grunge and alternative music.

I still listen to a lot of that, but over time my taste in music has got wider and wider and now I listen to (post 2000) Metallica, Deftones, System of a Down, but also Jimi Hendrix, the Doors and 80's punk.

The harder the better!
23-02-2015, 21:09   #8
GUZZIOWL

Eighup Mooks .....when i saw Led Zep it was in early 73 .....tickets were 1
_______
C.O.P.D Warrior
23-02-2015, 21:29   #9
metalman

Total Posts: 6,566
I got into heavy rock in the early 70s when I was about 12/13 with Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, UFO and all those sorts and I'm still listening to it now (along with a load of other stuff).
23-02-2015, 22:44   #10
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 54,408
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Im an old punk but also always been into stuff like Motorhead, Maiden and DC and also got into Grindcore and Thrash Metal back in the late 80s

still love the classic heavy rock / metal, thrash, death, black metal aswell as stuff like stonor rock and prog

always had a soft spot for the likes of Hawkwind, Gong and Rush especially aswell as the aforementioned

used to frequent the wap, yorkshireman, frog and parrot, rebels and peace gardens with the rockers / thrashers in the late 80s / early 90s
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
24-02-2015, 08:43   #11
mrsb73

Total Posts: 680
Hey guys I love my rock and metal, since the mid eighties onwards love all sorts of it. These days listen to a wider variety of material but am still a rocker at heart! The scene in Sheffield seems to be on the up again, The Mulberry, The Dove and Rainbow, Church House and the Yorkshiremans ups and running again :-)
24-02-2015, 09:02   #12
Mooks

Great guys a thread to be proud of keep the faith that's all l say...was never into the thrash scene the singers got on my nerves to be honest lol..Claim to fame saw Maiden 1st ever tour 50 people in a rock club in my native north east. Turned to my m8s said these won't go far lol..
Saw Saxon as they were then Son of a bitch in the early 80s..
Not really a fan of huge arena style gigs somethings missing er atmosphere l guess can't beat sweaty clubs couple of hundred people crambed into a shoebox lol.
Cheers
24-02-2015, 11:01   #13
GUZZIOWL

...well said Mooks ..The Big arenas dont interest me in the slightest ...
I met Graham Oliver many years ago when he played a Guest Spot with a Band in Hoyland .
One of my mates was in the Band and he introduced me to Graham ..
We've been F/ B friends for quite a few years as now ..
_______
C.O.P.D Warrior
25-02-2015, 10:10   #14
Mooks

Another claim to fame played football in my younger days with good ol Chris Rea OK not rock so to speak but great to see him doing so well..Janick Gers lives near where l used to live.. Saw his first band White Spirit many moons ago..
The Middlesbrough's Rock garden was my haunt in the 70s/80s every Friday night 2 quid to get in 50p a pint greasy hamburger afterwards followed by making a nice pizza on the floor on the way home...happy days lol
25-02-2015, 16:04   #15
Powerage

Total Posts: 1,583
I have been into it since about 1976 when my then boyfriend played me some Rory Gallagher and thought it was the best thing I had ever heard! Still into it now love all the old bands saw Zep at Knebworth both weeks, seen just loads of bands. Wasn't keen on the hair metal of the 80's but love a lot of new bands Rammstein, Black Stone Cherry, Shinedown etc. Will never change my musical taste now far too old and not that I want to any way!

Most of my mates have been met through the music, spent many a happy night in the Wap and Rebels, now I go in the Dove, Mulberry, Church House and The Yorkshireman.
_______
gone shootin

Last edited by Powerage; 25-02-2015 at 16:06.
25-02-2015, 17:04   #16
Mooks

Nice Powerage l saw ye name thought you were a big AC/DC fan wish l saw Zep but wasn't to be. Not keen on Rammstein but each to there own. At least its rock n roll which is the main thing.
26-02-2015, 09:31   #17
NEKRO138

Total Posts: 7,036
Send a message via MSN to NEKRO138
Opeth are worth a try if you haven't heard them. They're heavy but also have proggy elements, especially with their latest album.
_______
...---...
26-02-2015, 14:34   #18
Mooks

Just had a listen not really my style the growling puts me off can see the proggy style though.
Just had a look back at early days Castle Donington only went once but Accept, Y&T think Van halen were there 86 l think.
OK Downloads popular but theres only a couple of bands that are worth watching rest are just fillers .
At least at donington the bands that were on were very popular
Can never forget that weekend went with 3 m8s one didn't check the stove was working and yup it wasn't . So with burgers sausages etc in the car my m8 decided to eat everything raw lol. Didnt affect him hell knows why not.
That was the year the toilets were taken down for firewood even with people sittiung on the throne lol...happy days
26-02-2015, 14:36   #19
GUZZIOWL

......Bought Lamentations ( Opeth DVD 2003) ...Also got their CD's ..Great Band ( there's lots of Bands from Sweden and Finland that aren't as well known as Sabbath , Purple ,Led Zep etc ....but ,they certainly know their stuff ..
I listen to lots of 'Folk Metal ' ...especially Ensiferum and Korpiklaani ...
Ensiferums new Album 'One Man Army ' features a metal version of the TV Series 'Rawhide' ..it's actually pretty damned good ...
I love the Korpiklaani song Koivu Ja Tahti ...The intro starts off nice and gentle with Accordion ,Acoustic Guitar and Bass ...then the 'Metal Bit' Kicks in .
Also , their song Spirit of the Forest features Guitar ( towards the end ) that Megadeth would be proud of .
_______
C.O.P.D Warrior
27-02-2015, 10:07   #20
Mooks

Hmm had a browse about YouTube last night Delain wow she's cute . Eluveltie hmm singer ain't bad either lol...heard a few tracks Eluveltie Call of the mountain is a good track but why the growling on the others just messes it up for me musically there very good.
Delain well she's what the doctor ordered lol...Stardust excellent track
Just ****** me off a lot of bands are very good but the growling grunts that ye cant understand anyway are just a waste of time but that's my opinion. That should stray with the death metal scene to me.
Reply To Topic