The Rolling Stones - Are they still the best rock band ever?

Just wondered how many fans still suport the Rolling Sones. Will you be going to a Rolling Stones concert this year?

The title is erroneous, inferring as it does that it's a given they ever were the best rock band ever.

An old school friend of mine loves them. I think they're alright. Not a patch on The Clash though.

Is Bill Wyman back with them?

Is Bill Wyman back with them?

Photo in the Express yesterday showed Wyman in the line-up. I thought he was still touring with his Rhythm Kings who are very good. Maybe he's making a guest appearance on some/all dates of the Stones next tour.

I am waiting for the 2062 tour which will mark 100 years since the band was formed.:rolleyes:

Doom and Gloom is as good a track as they have ever made.

All abut 70, doing another sell our world tour, music as good as ever.

Are they the worlds best ever Rock Band?

Carlsberg Baby.

It is quite unfair to expect a bunch of OAPs to write meaningful rock songs.There is no doubt The Stones were good in their youth but they really have stagnated since Exile,and now have been superseded by bands such as Wilco,Pulp,Modest Mouse and the like.

It is quite unfair to expect a bunch of OAPs to write meaningful rock songs.There is no doubt The Stones were good in their youth but they really have stagnated since Exile,and now have been superseded by bands such as Wilco,Pulp,Modest Mouse and the like.

I agree the Stones have stagnated musically but they still put on a great show at Don Valley in 1999 (albeit a greatest hits package) in their last show I saw at Don Valley (2005 or 2006???) they did seem a little too old and I wouldnt bother seeing them again.

As for being superseded by modern bands I certainly would not tout the vastly overrated Modest Mouse and Wilco as viable successors. While Pulp are superb they will never be remembered in the same light as the Stones whose 60's/early 70's output is awesome.

Photo in the Express yesterday showed Wyman in the line-up. I thought he was still touring with his Rhythm Kings who are very good. Maybe he's making a guest appearance on some/all dates of the Stones next tour.

Thanks for that, just noticed in London the tickets are £95, I think I'd rather listen to their music rather than look at them;)

I saw them couple of years ago on their bigger bang tour and it was like the" night of the living dead " with sir mick having the occasional epileptic fit .

good for a laugh and a bit of nostalgia

still leave the clash for dead though:hihi:

Edited by johncocker

The title is erroneous, inferring as it does that it's a given they ever were the best rock band ever.

An old school friend of mine loves them. I think they're alright. Not a patch on The Clash though.

i think what that title infers is how big theyve been through the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s, how popular they have always been, and the most important, theyve NEVER split up

if you was to look at how many top singles theyve had in all decades its prolly more than most band ever, and like i said never split up

I agree the Stones have stagnated musically but they still put on a great show at Don Valley in 1999 (albeit a greatest hits package) in their last show I saw at Don Valley (2005 or 2006???) they did seem a little too old and I wouldnt bother seeing them again.

As for being superseded by modern bands I certainly would not tout the vastly overrated Modest Mouse and Wilco as viable successors. While Pulp are superb they will never be remembered in the same light as the Stones whose 60's/early 70's output is awesome.

MM and Wilco are not overrated in the UK,but thanks for supporting my other point-the Stones have done little since the early 70s.Who do you like today?