Death scene in Downton Abbey.

I have just been watching the death bed scene of Lady Sybil did anyone see it?

It was one of the most saddest and moving scenes i have ever seen in a drama,or a film.

This whole series has been excellent, it isn't surprising that it has been such a massive success all over the world,and the last series won so many awards.

the script is amazing. No sentence is wasted in conveying exactly how the world was, what the protocols and expectations were of the day, and how the grass isn't actually greener 'upstairs'

the script is amazing. No sentence is wasted in conveying exactly how the world was, what the protocols and expectations were of the day, and how the grass isn't actually greener 'upstairs'

Yes its a history lesson as well isn't it,with the political issues of the time very much in attension.

Julian Fellowes the writer comes from a privleged upper class family,but doesn't lack empathy for the lower classes.

I expect you know he wrote the screenplay for the film "Gosford Park" too.

Edited by janie48
corrected spelling error

I didn't actually. I missed downton the last two series, so have only caught up on the recent reruns

I used to record the upstairs downstairs series and watch them in the middle of the night when I was feeding H when she was new. There was less explaining of situations in that, as it was taken for granted that the viewer understood more of the social history

The first couple of episodes of downton irritated me a little for their over explaining, but I accept now that that material needs to be there for a younger generation who won't have encountered the social structure and expectations of the bygone eras

I didn't actually. I missed downton the last two series, so have only caught up on the recent reruns

I used to record the upstairs downstairs series and watch them in the middle of the night when I was feeding H when she was new. There was less explaining of situations in that, as it was taken for granted that the viewer understood more of the social history

The first couple of episodes of downton irritated me a little for their over explaining, but I accept now that that material needs to be there for a younger generation who won't have encountered the social structure and expectations of the bygone eras

I can still recall those early episodes of Upstairs Downstairs,Brideshead Revisited and others,some of those great character actors could turn a boring scene into a great performance.

I know period dramas arn't everyones taste,but when they are done well like some great classic books that are turned into TV adaptations,i love them.

Bit of a disgrace that the wounded officers were nursed in the comforst and luxury of the house while the other ranks were lucky to get any medical attention or at best pretty poor in comparison.

It was certainly an indication of the state of society at the time

I have just been watching the death bed scene of Lady Sybil did anyone see it?

It was one of the most saddest and moving scenes i have ever seen in a drama,or a film.

This whole series has been excellent, it isn't surprising that it has been such a massive success all over the world,and the last series won so many awards.

Yes I must admit shedding a few " real tears" when she died, I love this program, British tv at its best..:)