Have you ever seen a film or TV programme thats shocked you?

In the seventies i saw the film Clockwork Orange i was shocked at the violent scenes,I was on a date at the time and i vaguely recall suggesting we leave the cinema but i was ignored.

Anyway the reason i mention that film is because i have never heard anyone mention ever seeing it since.I read where it was banned from cinemas for a few years and from TV screens,but has since become a cult film.

Tonight it was screened on TV so out of curiosity to see if i had reacted over nothing i decided to watch it,after thirty minutes i'de seen enough,not only was it violent it was rubbish.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has an opinion who has seen it or read the book,or has ever been shocked by something else.

Do you mean fact or fiction ? Im very interested in true life crime stories on TV. These have shocked me nearly every time as they involve real people and their families. The saddest are about young children who are murdered, and the reason they are killed are for the simplist of reasons, like someone losing their temper etc;

Do you mean fact or fiction ? Im very interested in true life crime stories on TV. These have shocked me nearly every time as they involve real people and their families. The saddest are about young children who are murdered, and the reason they are killed are for the simplist of reasons, like someone losing their temper etc;

Fact or fiction."A clockwork Orange" was fiction but full of sadistic violence. i've seen some of those true life crime stories too and they are more shocking because they are true.

They're have a been other films i've seen that have been based on true life events such as "Schinder's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" that were shocking and disturbing but very realistic, i think films such as those need to be seen,not as entertainment but as education.

Fact or fiction."A clockwork Orange" was fiction but full of sadistic violence. i've seen some of those true life crime stories too and they are more shocking because they are true.

They're have a been other films i've seen that have been based on true life events such as "Schinder's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" that were shocking and disturbing but very realistic, i think films such as those need to be seen,not as entertainment but as education.

I found Schindler's list really upsetting. And I wept buckets at the final scenes where the survivors came to his grave, and placed "Remembrance stones" on his grave, as per the Jewish tradition.

I found Schindler's list really upsetting. And I wept buckets at the final scenes where the survivors came to his grave, and placed "Remembrance stones" on his grave, as per the Jewish tradition.

Yes it was a very moving closing scene,and Schindler's widow was also among those people.

Every image in that film had a powerful impact,so brilliantly put together,right down to the John Williams soundtrack.

I am rarely shocked by films but like the OP I found A Clockwork Orange vile.

I still do. It's disgusting and I won't watch it again.

But that doesn't mean I want it censored.

Clockwork orange is indeed a vile film,its also rubbish,another banned in the 70s was I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE also rubbish.

Got to agree, they are the one's that rip the heart strings, even worse when you see that the murderer has be-friended the victims families, I cried when the kiddies got shot @ Dunblane terrible.

City of Life and Death, a film about the Nanking Massacre, horrified me.

The film itself wasn't full of gore or extreme visual violence, but it was the fact that it was based on true events (and having seen the stomach-churning photographs and knowing what took place) that made it hard to watch.

It's brilliantly shot and well acted, but it drained me too much to want to see it again.

A Clockwork Orange was not actually banned. A few months after the initial UK release (with an X rating) some alleged copycat crimes were reported in the Sun, in a "This film is to blame" style.

Kubrick reacted by withdrawing the film for any more UK screenings, a case of self-censorship that came to an end shortly after he died.

However the film continued to be available just about anywhere else. In West Germany, a country with notoriously harsh film ratings where many films were not granted a release without extensive cuts, it got away uncut with a 16 rating.

I'm really surprised the film features so strongly in this thread, and even gets compared with rape-and-revenge thrillers. There's a good few films I would call vile but this isn't one of them.

A Clockwork Orange was not actually banned. A few months after the initial UK release (with an X rating) some alleged copycat crimes were reported in the Sun, in a "This film is to blame" style.

Kubrick reacted by withdrawing the film for any more UK screenings, a case of self-censorship that came to an end shortly after he died.

However the film continued to be available just about anywhere else. In West Germany, a country with notoriously harsh film ratings where many films were not granted a release without extensive cuts, it got away uncut with a 16 rating.

I'm really surprised the film features so strongly in this thread, and even gets compared with rape-and-revenge thrillers. There's a good few films I would call vile but this isn't one of them.

Well you've probably seen a lot more films then i have,l was very young when i first saw it,i think it was the first X rated film i saw.I have since heard that there was a deep meaning and moral message in the content,that was something i didn't pick up at the time,and thats why i attempted to watch it on TV last night but couldn't stand to sit through any more after 30 mins or so.Was it supposed to be educational,? If you know can you tell me, what the heck it was supposed to be about?

Got to agree, they are the one's that rip the heart strings, even worse when you see that the murderer has be-friended the victims families, I cried when the kiddies got shot @ Dunblane terrible.

I was shocked again tonight when a programme was on about Fred West and his wife. What cruelty !