Alan Rickman

I like Rickman. But the way the film industry works, there is a depressing tendency for him to get type cast as comic Grand Guignol villains. As such, he is always equal to himself, (unforgettable as the Sheriff of Nottingham or the sleazy political spinmaster in BOB ROBERTS) but underused IMHO. He is capable of so many more dimensions, and is never so good as when he is cast against type.

My favorite performnace by him though is as the revenant cellist in Anthony Minghella's TRULY MADLY DEEPLY, we have a delightfully nuanced comic portrayal, seductive enough

to get called back from the dead by the grief of his distraught widow, but also sufficiently annoying, flimsy and full of ticks, as to teach her to dispense with his memory and get on with her life.

So what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?

Honestly, I only remember him in Die Hard.

He was not a villian, he was the Villain!

An uber Villain, in fact.

Truly madly deeply makes me cry everytime!

I love Alan Rickman, there is something extremely sexy about him. He's not conventionally good looking, but has a presence and his voice is fantastic. I think he is a great actor, and would like to see him doing some different roles.

As for snape in Harry potter, I thought it was a bad casting, because he's too yummy! You're supposed to dislike snape!

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I thought he had died last year?

I hope I am wrong :confused:

Originally posted by FetishFairy

You're wrong.

Rickman is returning as nasty Professor Snape in the new Harry Potter film, out in June apparently.

Originally posted by Foxxx

I love Alan Rickman, there is something extremely sexy about him. He's not conventionally good looking, but has a presence and his voice is fantastic. I think he is a great actor, and would like to see him doing some different roles.

As for snape in Harry potter, I thought it was a bad casting, because he's too yummy! You're supposed to dislike snape!

Yep he was not right as Snape.

Sheriff of Nottingham, soooo right.

But yes he is lovely, and oh the voice. And as Foxx says not your typical sex symbol, but he has something.

Was he not in Love Actually, or was it another thing i saw him in? He was the husband, older and greyer and in a cardigan, all quiet and in the background, but he never is cos he is Alan Rickman and he doesn't do background.

Originally posted by FetishFairy

Where'd you get that from??? :confused:

I think Rickman's perfect as Snape, I couldn't imagine anyone else playing him.

Alan Rickman was a brilliant Sheriff of Nottingham - phwoooaaarr

I definately agree with you on that one

Originally posted by Sidla

Where'd you get that from??? :confused:

I think Rickman's perfect as Snape, I couldn't imagine anyone else playing him.

Ah but you're a bloke so wouldn't get the sexiness of him!! When I read the HP books, I didn't like the character, he comes across as nasty and slimey etc, but Alan Rickman didn't have that effect on me.

He has the absolutely sexist voice!

Susie, going to be distracted for the rest of the day

One of my favourite film quotes is by the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood:

That's it. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

He is brilliant as the angel in Dogma too outacts Afffleck and Damon too IMO:)