Which book would you like to see made into a film?

I think Ben Elton's High Society. Only if it was filmed in the UK, in the same kinda genre as Trainspotting, shallow grave, human traffic etc. It could become another one of those brilliant Brit films. When I read Ben Elton, I can see it being a film really easily. I think it would make a good arty film, but appeal to mainstream. It has a good story line about drugs, has a great political angle running through it, MPs, policemen etc, but also has brilliant comedy and scenes with fake famous pop stars and 'it' girls in it. It's funny in places yet serious and dark in others.

There's a bit of a theme going on here...Mr Nice, by Howard Marks, Doors or Perception by Aldous Huxley.

Alot of the books I have read have already been made into films although I didn't like/disappointed with the films. The Beach, Captain Correlli's Mandalin, Harry Potter to name a couple.

The Hobbit would be an obvious suggestion, I believe there are plans for this by the LOTR crew.

Another vote for the hobbit here!

Peter Jackson would do a good job and everyone knows it

Pity most of the Tolekin family dont agree :/

I would like to see a War of the Worlds movie which would actually be close to the original book.

The only connection to the book that the 1953 movie had was that it had Martians in it who died from exposure to Earth's bacteria.

Bulgakov's 'The Master and Margarita' - I think the Poles did a version some years ago, and there's talk of a new version kicking around.

I went so far as to start chasing the rights myself a couple of years back but then read that they'd been acquired so that was that...:-) Quite where I would have acquired the money (short of bank robbery) is another matter.

A film version (rather than TV) of 'Brideshead Revisited' would be nice.

And yes - a proper version of 'The War of the Worlds'.

John Brunner's 'The Shockwave Rider'.

Any of the books by Richard Laymon. His books are like a adventure horror. Not many people seem to have heared of him, but the books are fantastic. I have nearly read them all. Unfortunately Richard Laymon has died so I will be sad when I finish all his books. Has anyone read his books before?

WM

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

The Invisibles (OK so its a comic book!)

Originally posted by BrainThrust

Books i'd like to see as films:

'His Dark Materials' Trilogy - Phillip Pullman (I know this is being planned already)

Cool! would like to see that! :thumbsup:

The universal thing is that most of the time film adaptations never quite live up to the book!

Wouldnt know about LoTR, havnt seen it.

( altho I am enjoying Harry Potter flicks :blush: )

One book Id like to see made into film has to be Good Omens :thumbsup:

Can you keep a secret - Sophie Kinsella 

Twenties Girl -Sophie Kinsella 

A  Husbands Secret - Liane Moriaty

Dead Simple -Peter James

Clive Barkers "The Scarlet Gospels" would be an amazing Hellraiser film but i think the scope of hell would just be far too expensive to put onto film

John 'The Pram Man' Burkinshaw's autobiography would make an amazing film. 

One of Leslie Thomas' lesser known works, 'Arrivals And Departures'.  Marvellous book that seems to be under most people's radar. Problem is it's an ensemble piece. Not sure a 2 hour film would be able to do all the characters justice.   Would have to be brutally edited - and then I'd moan 😀.

....in addition, his 'Kensington Heights'  would be a quirky little film, but I suspect snowflakes would heckle-up at the thought of a retired (wounded) soldier becoming protective of a lying homeless waif. It's a strange and sometimes uncomfortable friendship. Doesn't make for easy reading but I'd be interested how that would play out on film.