Your favourite phrases.

It refers to it in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_for_a_Burton

My brother (who's older than me) has a saying which I've never quite understood or known the origins of: When he's going to the WC for a wee, he says "I'm going for a burst on the banjo".......Lord knows where that comes from! :hihi::hihi:

How often we hear or use expressions we don't know the meaning of,i've heard a few funny ones,but i've never heard the one your brother says.:hihi:

How often we hear or use expressions we don't know the meaning of,i've heard a few funny ones,but i've never heard the one your brother says.:hihi:

It is quite amusing though isn't it? Conjurs up any number of visions! :hihi:

I'm "Happy as Larry" today. Thats another one to look up later because i don't know who the "ecky thump" Larry is.

Ahhh right thankyou Janie48 thats interesting, I know I have always thought that who is this Larry that we are supposed to be happy as??, the comment about going to the toilet as a saying is one I have never heard but is a good one I might use from now on, I say I am just going to spend a penny or going for a tinkle he he. :);)

My brother (who's older than me) has a saying which I've never quite understood or known the origins of: When he's going to the WC for a wee, he says "I'm going for a burst on the banjo".......Lord knows where that comes from! :hihi::hihi:

Not heard that one misen, but personally I use "just going to point Percy, at the porcelain"

Its oer yonder---over there.

Stop faffing about---stop messing.

Daft as a brush------stupid.

Dropping the kids off at the pool.

We used to use this a lot in our house when I lived with my parents but not quite in that context ;-)

I think it comes from the old Ken Dodd radio shows when Ken would break off halfway through a sketch and say " I must just have a quick burst on mi banjo!" followed by a burst of ultra fast banjo music then he would say "By Jove , I needed that !! " I'll have a google and see if I can find it .

my favorite one is there is flattery in friendship by william shakespeare