BBC'S ONE Show on Fargate:Should nurses etc, have the Right to strike?

Have nurses right to strike  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have nurses right to strike

I am not missing the point and happen to have insight, experience and knowledge of the issues involved. Perhaps someone could say exactly how strike action would help their cause, especially as there are countless examples of unsuccessful strike action. How will putting lives at risk be of use? How would you feel if, by nurses striking your loved one was harmed or even died? Would you still support a strike? Caring for vulnerable people is a very special career path and we should value people who choose to do it. Sadly, the government and the public at large do not always do so.

can"t disagree trish. having said that a staff nurse earns £30k a year. so its not really that bad.

I'm sorry you are wrong they don't !

---------- Post added 23-09-2017 at 17:51 ----------

It's not just that they are underpaid but doing the job of almost two nurses .They are exhausted and certainly can't do the job they were trained to do in the way they want. There isn't enough time ,they are spread too thinly .Anyone who has been in hospital will come to this conclusion .

I think anyone who is employed should have the right to withdraw their labour. Providing it is done strictly within the law.

Angel1

Exactly, it's not a case of 'bless, we're just doing our bit for the public' as if that's the case any amount of money is enough.

As you others have put it, a nurse either chooses to work this job as they believe this is worth doing or, more likely, because of the reward at the end of the day.

I have worked for both public and private sectors over the past twenty years, and being unhappy with my last (private sector) wage I chose another much harder (also private sector) job in order to give myself a better chance to make more money. This may take more time and effort on my part, but after seven years with no pay rise on my previous role, this is a good move in my view.

They either need to decide whether they are serving the public or working for a better pay packet because 'doctors get paid more', which seems to be what I see.

Btw, I believe the NHS is a great thing and should be supported, but the employees need to remember there are lots of people working hard shifts out there in other jobs who have also seen no pay rises in five, seven, or seven ten years. Sucks, don't it?

On the other side of the coin, my wife has been a nurse for 37 years.

Many years ago she made a decision to leave the NHS due to the low wages, poor morale and constant shifting targets.

She now works in the private sector, gets paid much more for working less hours, does'nt need to get involved in any office politics and has less stress overall.

where do they earn £30k??

ive been qualified for 27+ years, currently work full time as a staff nurse in the nhs and don't earn £30k!!!.

its not just about the pay - the staffing levels are dangerous (1 nurse to care for 12 patients!?), the support is minimal and the unpaid overtime is ridiculous!! I once did 5 long days in a row due to sickness 8am-6pm and didn't get a break on any of those days ... that's a rare occurrence, but I regularly work those shifts and don't get my full lunch break, work over past my finish time by 10 minutes or so ... that's the norm for most nurses on the wards.

we have seen a cut in our unsocial hours payments, a huge cut in what we can claim in tax allowances (its now a basic £60/yr), and a massive rise in the yearly re-registration fee (from £30 a year to £120).

I agree with striking, didn't use to - buts its more about nurses venting to the govt that we are fed up of what they are doing to us ... there are many nurses who wouldn't strike and we wouldn't leave patients uncared for. A couple of years ago the radiographers striked ... but all urgent and essential xrays, scans etc were done with virtually no impact on patient care.

where do they earn £30k??

ive been qualified for 27+ years, currently work full time as a staff nurse in the nhs and don't earn £30k!!!.

its not just about the pay - the staffing levels are dangerous (1 nurse to care for 12 patients!?), the support is minimal and the unpaid overtime is ridiculous!! I once did 5 long days in a row due to sickness 8am-6pm and didn't get a break on any of those days ... that's a rare occurrence, but I regularly work those shifts and don't get my full lunch break, work over past my finish time by 10 minutes or so ... that's the norm for most nurses on the wards.

we have seen a cut in our unsocial hours payments, a huge cut in what we can claim in tax allowances (its now a basic £60/yr), and a massive rise in the yearly re-registration fee (from £30 a year to £120).

I agree with striking, didn't use to - buts its more about nurses venting to the govt that we are fed up of what they are doing to us ... there are many nurses who wouldn't strike and we wouldn't leave patients uncared for. A couple of years ago the radiographers striked ... but all urgent and essential xrays, scans etc were done with virtually no impact on patient care.

I must confess I know nothing about a nurse"s salary. however I googled it.asked how much a nurse earns. and it said a staff nurse earns 30k per year. still not enough, but not exactly poverty either.

I must confess I know nothing about a nurse"s salary. however I googled it.asked how much a nurse earns. and it said a staff nurse earns 30k per year. still not enough, but not exactly poverty either.

Google is wrong! A £30k pay for nurses would be at manager level, not staff nurse.

Exactly so - Staff Nurses earn nowhere near 30K per annum - if only :(

Starting salary for a staff nurse is £22000, I've just qualified myself. A staff nurse with 7 years experience could be on a max salary of £27500. To earn more you would need to be promoted to deputy ward manager.

Starting salary for a staff nurse is £22000, I've just qualified myself. A staff nurse with 7 years experience could be on a max salary of £27500. To earn more you would need to be promoted to deputy ward manager.

I stand corrected. £440ish per week, is peanuts for such a responsible job.

a London tube driver earns £1000 per week. laughable is"nt it.

I stand corrected. £440ish per week, is peanuts for such a responsible job.

a London tube driver earns £1000 per week. laughable is"nt it.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Why the comparison between jobs? They're both responsible jobs, just different types of responsibility. Sounds like a daily Wail article, when someone doesn't have a clue about either job.

Nurses and healthcare staff have had their conditions eroded and pretty much pay cuts for years. Staffing levels are at critical levels and targets are unrealistic.