Motor insurance claim question.

My insurance as never got higher due to a non fault claim

Mine neither.

This is the absolute worst piece of advice I have heard in a long time. You absolutely need to claim and make sure it is put through as a non fault claim.

For people who claim that your insurance will rise is talking rubbish. From up own personal experience, my insurance never rose from a non fault claim. If anything, it only went down year on year. Using comparison sites to see if it goes up or down? Really? You are better off talking to the insurer directly.

You need to register accidents and get the car properly fixed. It won't cost you a penny. So what is the downside?

My mate is an insurance broker and he confirmed this when I had a non fault claim and my insurance rose slightly the next renewal.

I asked why and was told that even though it was not not my fault I was deemed a slightly higher risk then before.

My advice was if its just a slight scratch/Mark otherwise as I stated heavy damage needs to go through insurance.

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 12:36 ----------

Thanks again mafya.

Could be. I'm wondering if the insurance will decide to write the car off?

Maybe it's an idea to give the other party the option to buy the car at market value; and then they're responsible for repairs. They did sound very keen to not go through insurance.

If we did go through insurance; and they did write it off, am guessing they've give us less than market value? Plus, there's excess to consider...

It depends on how old it is, the value of the car and what the damage is...

Try putting your details on your quotes with a no fault and without to see if it goes up,mine did.I hope your claim is quicker than mine,15th may to 5th sept,many phone calls later.

i have done still doesnt make a diffence to my quote are with insuarnce company im still with

Isn't your insurance company supposed to do all that work for you? Admiral did for me.

Yes of course they are,funny enough I was insured with admiral but they are brokers not an insurance company.They put me in touch with gladiator insurance who eventually told me that I was insured with zenith,after a month that is.My pick up was written off but I have only just been able to insure my new one,the reason is cost.Because the claim is not finished until my insurance has the money from the 3rd party involved.The insurance has dropped from £1080 last week to£290 today and its been a real eye opener on how the insurance companies work or not as in my case.It was a total non fault,my vehicle was parked when hit and wish it had never happened because of the stress its caused plus the cost.I only settled the claim because of the hassle and the time factor but will be well aware of the way things work if it were to happen again.

It was a total non fault,my vehicle was parked when hit and wish it had never happened because of the stress its caused plus the cost.I only settled the claim because of the hassle and the time factor but will be well aware of the way things work if it were to happen again.

I had the same problem. Insurers were useless (theirs - Churchill and mine - Swift).

I was recommended by the bodyshop doing an estimate on my car's damage to see a local law firm. They were brilliant, handled absolutely everything and got me a hire car delivered to my door within two hours.

As the guilty party's insurers knew that their driver was totally at fault and my law firm was racking up the additional fees they soon speeded up the process.

Insurance companies will increase your premium now even for a non-fault claim, just make the insurance company are claiming for the other parties insurance ! Your mum won't have to pay any excess though if they claim through there insurance

Someone just reversed in to the front of my moms stationary (parked on road outside home) car. No-one was in the car at the time; so the other party is fully at fault. I got their name, mobile and license plate number; and plenty of photos and video. Also, the neighbour has CCTV which shows the accident.

They want to avoid going through the insurance, which I don't think we're willing to do. Will my mom need to claim on her own insurance, or on theirs (not sure who they're insured with)?

Thanks.

If they don't want to put it through the insurance, then get a quote and ask them for a cheque.

But keep the evidence you have until the cheque has cleared and the damage is repaired.

If you're not prepared to do that, then tell them so, they legally need to give you their insurance details, failure to do so is a crime and you should report it then to the police and your own insurance company.

---------- Post added 27-09-2017 at 16:04 ----------

My insurance as never got higher due to a non fault claim

You're very unusual then.

---------- Post added 27-09-2017 at 16:05 ----------

This is the absolute worst piece of advice I have heard in a long time. You absolutely need to claim and make sure it is put through as a non fault claim.

For people who claim that your insurance will rise is talking rubbish. From up own personal experience, my insurance never rose from a non fault claim. If anything, it only went down year on year. Using comparison sites to see if it goes up or down? Really? You are better off talking to the insurer directly.

You need to register accidents and get the car properly fixed. It won't cost you a penny. So what is the downside?

It almost certainly WILL put up your premium. Statistically speaking people who claim for damage, even non-fault, are more likely to claim again, and so the price goes up accordingly.

There is no real downside to getting minor damage repaired yourself at the 3rd parties expense.

Could be. I'm wondering if the insurance will decide to write the car off?

If you claim directly through the other insurance company, not your own, then they cannot have the car written off if you refuse. Instead you can ask for the cash equivalent and get it repaired yourself and your car never goes on the register. If you go through your own insurance company they can write it off and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if you buy it back, it's still a write off and logged as such on the register.

Not sure that is always the case?

Not sure that is always the case?

It has been the two times I've had to do it in the last five years. If you stand your ground, you realise they can't write it off and nor can they take it away to repair it or scrap it without your permission. It's your car, they have no rights to it. Your own insurance company has a lot more rights to your car, because you've signed a contract in some form that gives them those rights.

The value you get to repair it will be no different than the value they would give if they wrote it off - possibly less as they start dithering over salvage value - but you can avoid it ever actually being written off.

The last claim I made through a third party ended up with them giving me the write off value minus salvage, which meant I repaired the car, made a profit and it never went on the register. The only drawback is you need to be prepared to fight your corner and it take a bit longer which isn't always worth it depending upon the car.

UPDATE:

We reported this incident to our insurance co on Monday afternoon, our vehicle was collected for repair on Tuesday, it’s now Friday lunchtime, and we’re still without a courtesy car.

Is this normal for insurance company to drag their feet like this? What recourse do we have? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

UPDATE:

We reported this incident to our insurance co on Monday afternoon, our vehicle was collected for repair on Tuesday, it’s now Friday lunchtime, and we’re still without a courtesy car.

Is this normal for insurance company to drag their feet like this? What recourse do we have? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Seem to be dragging their feet a bit there.

My last accident happened on a Sunday afternoon, insurance arranged recovery back to home (60+ mile journey) of car (and me) that afternoon. Had also arranged transport of car to repair garage and courtesy car for Monday. At 10.00 Monday morning a low loader turned up with courtesy car on back, dropped courtesy car off and took mine off to garage. I may have been lucky but full marks to insurance.

Hope you get sorted out soon :thumbsup: