Virgin Media prices going up 4.7%

Just seen that Virgin Media customers are to see their bills leap 4.7% this autumn in a price rise that will affect up to five million households.

Who will be the next to put bills up?

Mods can you edit the title please to Virgin.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/virgin-media-price-hike-10910471

They've been jacking the prices frequently since being bought out by Liberty Global

They've been jacking the prices frequently since being bought out by Liberty Global

I agree. I really do think it's time I shopped around to get a better deal. They're just taking the pee now.

While I'm happy with the service provided, it's not an excuse to keep bumping prices up whilst simultaneously giving me stuff I don't want. Time to give them a call I think.

BT & Sky will be doing the same though, they've both massively over-spent on Football rights which has caused profits to take a pasting.

Also if you're on Virgin's 300mb/s service you won't find anyone to come even close to that.

Just seen that Virgin Media customers are to see their bills leap 4.7% this autumn in a price rise that will affect up to five million households.

Who will be the next to put bills up?

Mods can you edit the title please to Virgin.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/virgin-media-price-hike-10910471

Glad I back heeled them a year ago. Absolute rob dogs.

Get rid of your TV(s) then you can tell TV Licencing to take a running jump and you will not be contributing to those vastly inflated wages of people who are only able to read an autoque or pontificate on a sporting event that you have just seen :thumbsup:

I agree. I really do think it's time I shopped around to get a better deal. They're just taking the pee now.

You don't have to shop around to get a better deal with VM. If you're out of contract you hold the upper hand.

Call up VM, tell them you want to cancel. You'll be put through to customer retentions (aka cancellations) who will ask you why you want cancel.

Bring up the issue of price and how you can get a better introductory deal elsewhere by switching to another provider (have those details to hand).

Chances are you'll be offered a new deal by the end of the phone call.

I don't care. You can get cheap broadband these days, that plus Netflix and freeview is more than enough.

Get rid of your TV(s) then you can tell TV Licencing to take a running jump and you will not be contributing to those vastly inflated wages of people who are only able to read an autoque or pontificate on a sporting event that you have just seen :thumbsup:

I've been getting those 'to present occupier' letters since I moved in many years ago.

Yep...Had an email today saying they are upping their prices by £3.99 per month...I already pay them £90.93 a month, and if memory serves me, it wasn't long ago when their prices went up previously.

I'm actually out of contract with them now....But looking around for alternatives is a bit of a minefield...Sky have deals FROM about £22, but then you have to add stuff on, and I expect before you know it, the cost won't be too different. BT offers various packages which are cheaper, but I once had BT TV a few years back, and it was appalling...Press a button on the remote and nothing happened for about 10 seconds after you pressed it. And it constantly 'went wrong'...It was a nightmare...So I soon binned that. (although in fairness it may have improved in time)

---------- Post added 25-09-2017 at 14:39 ----------

Following on from my previous post:

As I said, I got an email saying my 'plan' was going up by £3.99 a month. It's kinda the straw that broke the camels back.

I negotiated a 'deal' with BT and set wheels in motion to switch. Only then did I ring Virgin and tell them I was cancelling my account and gave them a month's notice. The lady I spoke to asked why. So I told her, in no uncertain terms. Anyway she asked if one of their 'retentions' team could ring me and see if there was anything they could do. I told her it was extremely unlikely, as I'd already committed to BT.

Anyway, a day or so later, I got a call from someone in their landline department wanting me to confirm that they had been advised by BT that 'they' would be taking over the landline, and was this correct? I told them it was indeed correct.

The following day I got the call from 'retentions', and they offered me a new deal, which would be exactly the same as I've already got, for £35.34p. (as opposed to £90.93 per month). They also said not to worry about the email I'd been sent saying it was going up by £3.99 per month, it wouldn't apply. Additionally, it would only be a 12 month contract instead of the usual 18 month one. That's a saving of £59.58 per month! Additionally, they are sending me a new modem, as mine was the original superhub and now they're on version 3.

So, I'm staying with Virgin. It seems silly to cut my nose off to spite my face.

So my advice (for what it's worth)...If you are near or out of contract with them, do what I did...It seems to have worked for me.