Understanding the universe.

RootsBoster.

Difficult question. Qualifiers for me would be : The Great Nest of Being (Ken Wilber, E.F. shumacher. The works of Jacob Lobert. And of course your mum(LOL).

I think I might not have been clear enough in my question, sorry. What I meant was, what qualifies as 'wisdom' for you?

As in, what are the defining qualities of wisdom?

RootsBoster,

I got one reference wrong, " Jacob Lorber " (miss spelled his surname ). I shall endeavor to give your question some justice. Please be patient whilst I reply.Thank you.

RootsBoster,

I got one reference wrong, " Jacob Lorber " (miss spelled his surname ). I shall endeavor to give your question some justice. Please be patient whilst I reply.Thank you.

I am rather patient but I actually thought, with you posting quite confidently about "wisdom traditions", that you might already have an idea about wisdom ready to hand.

Lol, please be patient while he runs and hides

Don't be stupid. The Forum is not the only thing in my life.

You ought to get some manners.

---------- Post added 10-10-2017 at 13:44 ----------

RootsBooster,

Thanks for your patience. You set me a difficult task-and I'm not going to be unwise and not give due consideration to the task.

Sources of Ancient Wisdom: There are many sources of the wisdom traditions of the world’s peoples. These include Tradition; Religion; Philosophy; Revelation; Faith; or in the case of Theosophy, Spiritual Initiation ,and last be not least the Bible.

or

Three Facets of Wise Reasoning

Intellectual humility

Self-transcendence

Consideration of others’ perspectives/compromise.

These three would certainly constitute as defining an approach to being wise

From my own perspective, I'm interested in how Eastern Wisdom Traditions may enlighten us as to the cosmic scheme of things.

At the moment I'm working on the "Patanjal's Yoga Sutras.In addition, I'm looking into Samkhya Philosophy. The Samakhya system is amongst the oldest system of philosophy. Its exact date goes beyond human history . Its principles are found in the Vedas and the Upanishads.

Its antiquity appears from the fact that the Samkhya system of thought pervades all the liturature of ancient India. The Samkhya system is the work of the great yogin Kapila.

I still haven't done you justice.It can be a lifetime search. So I'll be returning to the subject a little later.

Edited by petemcewan

RootsBooster,

Thanks for your patience. You set me a difficult task-and I'm not going to be unwise and not give due consideration to the task.

Sources of Ancient Wisdom: There are many sources of the wisdom traditions of the world’s peoples. These include Tradition; Religion; Philosophy; Revelation; Faith; or in the case of Theosophy, Spiritual Initiation ,and last be not least the Bible.

or

Three Facets of Wise Reasoning

Intellectual humility

Self-transcendence

Consideration of others’ perspectives/compromise.

These three would certainly constitute as defining an approach to being wise

From my own perspective, I'm interested in how Eastern Wisdom Traditions may enlighten us as to the cosmic scheme of things.

At the moment I'm working on the "Patanjal's Yoga Sutras.In addition, I'm looking into Samkhya Philosophy. The Samakhya system is amongst the oldest system of philosophy. Its exact date goes beyond human history . Its principles are found in the Vedas and the Upanishads.

Its antiquity appears from the fact that the Samkhya system of thought pervages all the liturature of ancient India. The Samkhya system is the work of the great yogin Kapila.

I still haven't done you justice.It can be a lifetime search. So I'll be returning to the subject a little later.

It's possible you're trying to overthink it somewhat.

For me, a simple definition of "wisdom" would be a combination of knowledge & experience, possibly with a touch of integrity thrown in for good measure.

I just finished watching Ultimate Homes.

This week it was from Alaska.

On the last house the bloke unwittingly blew their con....

His house situated on a hilltop a few hundred feet high - he boasted he could see on a clear day a volcano 250 miles away.

Now were we to live on a ball / sphere with a 24000 mile circumference - that it goes without saying is impossible.

Perhaps the bloke was a closet flat earther - and was just making the claim up :D

His house situated on a hilltop a few hundred feet high - he boasted he could see on a clear day a volcano 250 miles away.

Now were we to live on a ball / sphere with a 24000 mile circumference - that it goes without saying is impossible.

Perhaps the bloke was a closet flat earther - and was just making the claim up :D

Blew their con? So normal householders are also in on the conspiracy too? Is everyone else lying about how far they can see?

Without having seen the episode, and knowing the location of the home in question, it's impossible to say whether he was exaggerating the distance of the volcano, or lying about being able to see it. Both of these are of course a rather likely scenario, unlike the impossible scenario you like to sporadically troll this forum with.

Tell me this. Why can't I see the peaks in the peak district from my house?

Edited by Robin-H
spelling

I live in Sheffield and I can clearly see the lights on Belmont transmitter which is 55 miles away on the Lincolnshire Wolds.

The number of lights I can see tells me how much of the 1,154 feet tall mast I can see which is about 80% despite the base height being 440 feet

As I am 700 feet up on a hill I should be able to see it all if the Earth was flat, but I can't so it isn't. There is no higher point in between.

If you want to fill pages of space with nonsense you could always go and join all the other flat-earthers on debate.org and debate island, you'd be doing us a favour.