Missed appointments in the NHS

The hospital phoned a few weeks ago, asking if we would mind changing our appointment time and date to one which was better for them. We obliged. Then we get a text telling us that our child should attend on the date the hospital cancelled, with the usual 'a missed appointment costs the NHS £160' etc. I then had to phone them to remind them that we had come earlier at their request. In my experience this sort of thing is pretty typical.

The hospital phoned a few weeks ago, asking if we would mind changing our appointment time and date to one which was better for them. We obliged. Then we get a text telling us that our child should attend on the date the hospital cancelled, with the usual 'a missed appointment costs the NHS £160' etc. I then had to phone them to remind them that we had come earlier at their request. In my experience this sort of thing is pretty typical.

Shhhhhh now that won't fit in with the rant ;)

I have good, bad and indifferent experiences with the NHS, it is typical of all public services (and businesses in general) and should not be beyond criticism, they have organisational issues like everyone else, any IT related appointment system is prone to human error .......... Garbage in Garbage Out, that is all I will say on the matter !

Edited by Michael_W

In the Star today:

There were over 100,000 missed appointments at Sheffield NHS Foundation Trust during 2016/2017

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/thousands-of-missed-hospital-appointments-is-costing-nhs-in-sheffield-millions-1-8591300

The last time I went to see my GP I was waiting 45 minutes, perhaps that was a day when everyone turned up? So missed appointment don't cost the NHS anything, they are factored into the waiting time.

The hospital putting a notice like that up basically implies that it is blaming patients, and it is giving the impression that "no shows' are the fault of the patients concerned. It would be interesting to investigate and find out how many are actually the fault of the patients, and how many are the fault of the hospital.

Never missed any Hospital appointments, but I have transport which not all Patients have.

But I have attended the NGH on one occasion and waited for a couple of hours, only to be told that due to an administrative error I was not needed on that particular day.

Instead of saying it really was no problem, maybe I should have sued them for a large sum of money as my time is very valuable.

Joking apart these things happen, we are all human and we sometimes make the odd mistake.

Angel1.