Care plan for a 90 year old

When a 90 year old lives in their own home, how do the social services and doctors approach that?

My inlaw is good for 90, but has had a few overnight stays in hospital, and is wearing a catheter bag.

He does have a downstairs toilet; but I think he will be better off in some sheltered flats.

Its a big thing at 90, to sell your house and move into rented accommodation.

He will need to be persuaded, he has a little support from his son/daughter, but not much at all.

Does he have a care package already? He can self-refer (or be referred by family) to social services for assessment for home care. If he's had a few stays in hospital this may have been looked at (or offered) but if he declined it the issue may not have been pushed.

Out of interest, what do you think would be better about sheltered flats? You're right, it is a big decision - and if he thinks he's doing all right at home, why would he want to move to somewhere new and strange at that age...

Reading between the lines from your post it sounds like it might need to be his idea!

Why does he have to move home?

Carers could come to his home to look after him.carers can also empty the catheter bag and empty this in a toilet upstairs.

The care company Will come out and do a risk assessment before the care package starts.

I don't understand what you think they will get in sheltered. To be honest let them stay at home if they happy and receive care at their home.

Frequent admissions to hospital are indicative of deteriorating health leading to difficulties in caring for themselves. This can make health problems worse, particularly if they live alone.

Removing elderly people from their home can have a negative effect, particularly psychologically. If he wishes to remain at home, have a look at the AgeUK website. That link contains advice about making the home safer for an elderly person. I am sure there is a lot more information if you search for it.

For now, it might be best to go gently but try to encourage him to accept some form of assistance. When he is ready, ask social services for an assessment. Alternatively, if he is still under the care of the hospital you could discuss the situation there. You could also ask at the health centre for an assessment by the district nurse.

A lot of sheltered accommodation no longer have the residential wardens etc that used to be the case, so I'm not sure he would be much better off moving to such a place which he will be unfamiliar with.

As people have said, he can have care at home, and a 24 hour alarm system which will alert relatives in case of an accident etc. I'd also explore things like lunch clubs and telephone befriending services (like Silverline) for company.

It's great that you're taking an interest in his welfare, but probably the thing he'd like more than anything is visits every so often.

El Cid - you might be interested in the Money Box programme on Later Life Living which was aired on Wednesday, 20th September 2017. There is a reference in it to making the home more suitable for the older person. Anna's post is spot on and if you and other friends/relatives could take it in turns to support him he could be helped to live what is left of his life in his own home.

There are several places like the Brunswick retirement village in Woodhouse where people can live independently but the care is there for them. Although I don't know about their criteria for taking new tenants.

http://www.housingcare.org/housing-care/facility-info-116250-brunswick-gardens-village-woodhouse-england.aspx

Edited by iansheff

There are several places like the Brunswick retirement village in Woodhouse where people can live independently but the care is there for them. Although I don't know about their criteria for taking new tenants.

http://www.housingcare.org/housing-care/facility-info-116250-brunswick-gardens-village-woodhouse-england.aspx

Re: Brunswick. There was a waiting list at one time, not sure if there still is. What a lot of people dont know, is that elderly people who live in the 'catchment' area can join in with the clubs and trips, and enjoy the facilities at Brunswick for a nominal fee.

I don't know if this is true of other care homes in other places, but it might be.

Re: Brunswick. There was a waiting list at one time, not sure if there still is. What a lot of people dont know, is that elderly people who live in the 'catchment' area can join in with the clubs and trips, and enjoy the facilities at Brunswick for a nominal fee.

I don't know if this is true of other care homes in other places, but it might be.

Yes there are several, here are two I know of, one on Norfolk Park and another that was built a few years ago at Wincobank.

http://livingplus.placesforpeople.co.uk/customer/

http://www.housingcare.org/housing-care/facility-info-116775-roman-ridge-extra-care-scheme-wincobank-england.aspx

Edited by iansheff