Mill dam black lane loxley closed

Morning i went up to mill dam the other day to have a looksee mainly because its my closest fishing pond and i hav'nt been able to go for a couple of months, the sign says closed ,does anyone know the reason for this as its only been open for 6 month's :confused:

Is this the fishery near the cemetery just about opposite the admiral rodney?

yes, it's where I caught my first ever tench as a teenager

back then it was owned by Barworth Flockton rolling mill

I've fished it a few times up until about 2008, after that I only visited about 4 or 5 times but it was always locked up

I'd written it off as a venue, so quite surprised to find it's been open recently

I walk in Loxley bottom occasionally and there are 2 ponds.

One is open to fishing and has been for several years as I have passed it and the other is not but if it's the lower one then there is a health warning around there about asbestos from the old mill and its fenced off next to the foot path, maybe that has something to do with it

Does anyone remember Hamer's pond at the bottom of Rowell Lane? The company I worked for rented it from them and employees could buy permits. When Mr. Hamer snr passed away his son wanted to double the rent. Naturally he was told to do one as we had an agreement. The following week I went up and instead of a nice pond I found a muddy bog. He'd gone and drained it! We never found out if it was netted first or the fish went into the river. This would be in the early 80's.

was that the one set back, above the cottage just beyond the bridge, that you used to be able to see on your left as you climbed Spout Lane?

if so one of my school friends had a permit to fish that & on the one occasion he did, he had a 3lb chub out... but nothing else

That's the one. There was a shoal of chub as well as roach, bream, trout etc. We paid for some little mirror carp to be stocked the year before it was drained.

I always used to wonder what was in that as I sat on the coach coming home from school, all I knew at the time was damflask & the river Loxley.... fish were very few & far between!

(Stannington kids used to get ferried to & from Bradfield comp on National coaches, and they used to travel up & down Spout, Rowell & Long Lane... good hill climbers them coaches... but the smallest amount of snow elsewhere in the city meant days off school for us)

yes, it's where I caught my first ever tench as a teenager

back then it was owned by Barworth Flockton rolling mill

I've fished it a few times up until about 2008, after that I only visited about 4 or 5 times but it was always locked up

I'd written it off as a venue, so quite surprised to find it's been open recently

I fished it a few times in may june the reason for closure Prior to this year was the death of the bailiff and problems getting a new one,but a new baliff was found and it opened around May this year ,ive been fishlesss for 4 months due to a new knee and now its shut again does anyone have info as why or who own's it,i do know it used to close for the winter months but it aint winter yet

I fished it a few times in may june the reason for closure Prior to this year was the death of the bailiff and problems getting a new one,but a new baliff was found and it opened around May this year ,ive been fishlesss for 4 months due to a new knee and now its shut again does anyone have info as why or who own's it,i do know it used to close for the winter months but it aint winter yet

It requires a new baliff. the last one got a proper job, according to Dawson fishing tackle shop

As Far a's I'm aware the pond is not going to open again in the near future this info came from a balif its a shame that it has to be like this