Pubs in Crookes

I am fairly new to Crookes and of course know there are quite a few pubs in the area. From the outside it's hard to tell what they're like, and I've not really had much of a chance to see for myself yet.

What I'd ideally like is a friendly local pub, not too 'studenty' (nothing wrong with that and I've been there myself but it's not my cup of tea:)) and importantly, where I can go and have drink, perhaps do some work even and not get hassled (as a female!) This may sound odd but despite being a woman I don't have a problem going to a pub on my own. Other people often seem to though...:| It's just not the 'done thing' in this country is it! :)

Personally, I'd say the Ball was the best pub on Crookes.

The Grindstone is OK - often go there to watch footie, have a bite to eat etc. It's cheap and cheerful food though, so don't expect anything flash! It's pleasant enough - have seen people in there on their own.

Noahs Ark - I'd say this was a typical 'locals' pub. If you were going on your own, I don't think you'd struggle to strike up conversation with people in here.

Punchbowl - not my cup of tea at all. Had a terrible reputation a couple of years ago for an 'excitable' clientele shall we say. The management has changed several times over the years, but the customers seem to be the same.

Ball - always busy, decent varied mix of people. Not sure I'd go in on my own though - not from a 'letchy' point of view, but can't say I've noticed many people on their own in there.

Thanks Banana Split, very helpful! Yes these are all the pubs I've considered as I pass them on the bus every day! Heard some negative stuff about the Punchbowl also, not sure why it's developed this reputation out of all the locals... guess some pubs just do.

Thanks Banana Split, very helpful! Yes these are all the pubs I've considered as I pass them on the bus every day! Heard some negative stuff about the Punchbowl also, not sure why it's developed this reputation out of all the locals... guess some pubs just do.

I think the clue lies in the name(PUNCH)- a very mischievous character who mistreated his wife and child,and then had the temerity to franchise his story and publish a fanzine,edited by Alan Coren.

I personally don't rate the Grindstone, a few years ago I went in for a meal, the meal was pants, and the Beer was also pants.

I personally don't rate the Grindstone, a few years ago I went in for a meal, the meal was pants, and the Beer was also pants.

Recent reviews are always useful.

Try the Closed Shop and the Hallamshire, which are not in Walkley as some forum members think.

Edited by stevie1957

You do realise it's been re-opened recently? So what you thought a few years ago is irrelevant unless you've been and sampled the food in the last couple of months......:loopy:

The Princess Royal, Slinn St. Top place!

The Cobden View is pretty good in terms of what you're looking for. The Ball isn't bad but fairly studenty obviously. The Grindstone and Princess Royal are OK.

The Hallamshire House in Commonside, Crookesmoor is very nice. The Closed Shop opposite is OK but a bit tired.

I wouldn't bother with the Noah's Ark, the Masons, The Punch Bowl or (in Crookesmoor again) the Springvale.

Edited by Bilge

+1 for the Cobden and the Princess Royal.

Another vote from me for the Cobden View - might be a bit studenty for your tastes, though, depending what time of year/week/night you go (avoid big football match days!).

I was a fan of the Ball before its recent refurb. You could have easily disappeared into one of their recesses, but now they've made it all bright and tacky it's really lost the bizarre charm it had before.

The Punchbowl, despite comments on here, isn't really that bad for a quick half or if waiting for a bus. Especially if you find yourself hidden away to the right of the main entrance you'll not have any bother from the ever so salty locals.

I would also recommend heading down to Commonside to the Hallamshire House (now a Thornbridge pub), but also to go a bit further out of your way and head down the hill to The Blake (take a right turn down the hill just after the Walkley sign), which is most often quiet during the week and friendly/hospitable enough to be assured you'll be left to your own devices (v. busy weekend nights, however).

Personally wouldn't go anywhere near the Princess Royal - never heard or seen anything positive about it

Edited by alas_alas