Drain (problems/recommendations) megathread

Yes it THAT drain (phew) outdoors.

There is an inspection cover when lifted is almost full, and not draining away quickly enough.

Unsure how many houses share.

Ring the council, drains dept,they come out asap.

Don't understand really. Is it their responsibility on what is private land, or are they just operating as a business for profit?

You could get a set of drain rods from Wickes, try rodding down stream with just the rods (no attachment) or with the plunger attachment but don't push it too far, a few short fast plunges.

If any of the inspection chambers on your neighbours properties are also surcharged then it's a shared line and you can ask them to share the cost

I'm not usually a job dodger but having seen the crusted blockage, and no idea of the downstream direction this is one job I don't fancy.:gag:

We have just had them out - the people next door have had a big problem with their drains which run across our back garden ,the sh-ty stuff started seeping out into our garage. the council came out,sorted it and there was no charge.

We have just had them out - the people next door have had a big problem with their drains which run across our back garden ,the sh-ty stuff started seeping out into our garage. the council came out,sorted it and there was no charge.

........and was this a private house please?

I note from the council site private drains/sewers are charged.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=2351

What a subject at this time on a Friday!!:D

Thanks for your help.

i would reccomend lee clayton from sewer tech tel 07843560126

hes very good

My problem is now that YWA say it's a private drain and is likely to be shared.

Shared drain to me mean shared costs.

How is costs sharing enforced with adjacent landlords and how do you get proof of the drain sharing. (Nothing found in deeds - just street sewer plans)

sent you a pm

A suggestion: :)

if you have household insurance, you usually have free legal advice with them too - so try ringing your isnurers first and asking their advice

If the blockage is further down and it is a chargeable job, it's in their hands to rectify the problem for you and enure the bill goes to the right place, rather than you getting yourself embroiled in a wrangle with a neighbour :thumbsup:

Can I take the opportunity to recommend a tradesman to fellow forum posters. Through the forum, was able to get a repair done to my bathroom and toilet

Speedy service and a reasonable charge

D.B.R.C tel 07940452427 he on 24 hour call out. ask for darren