Sea breezes terrace.

I would like to know if this little terrace is still in place.It was or is on Richmond Rd. opposite the school,if that is still there. It always amazed me how they came by that name,there.

yes its still there, in fact one of the cottages has been up for sale recently. I always wondered about its name too. Didnt the end house used to be a shop?

:confused: There used to be a terraced house in Hillsborough called Sea view!! I often wondered about that too!

yes its still there, in fact one of the cottages has been up for sale recently. I always wondered about its name too. Didnt the end house used to be a shop?

Can`t remember.

still there. visited it a couple of times in the line of work. Very strangy named I agree, anyone know why?

I seem to remember hearing from somewhere that Seabreeze was a racehorse - 1950s, perhaps?

Possibly won one of the big races - maybe someone else can confirm that?

It was once said that you could smell the sea breeze from the top of Sally Clark's in Woodhouse. Maybe there's some connection?

I seem to remember hearing from somewhere that Seabreeze was a racehorse - 1950s, perhaps?

These are old houses by the look of it so I think it could have been before your racehorse theory.By the way you are not thinking about the horse that was called seabiscuit(American) are you?

Yes end house used to be Turners shop I used to go there at lunch time from Brook school .That was in the late 50s but I don't know how it got its name.

You appear to be right TWA756 (albeit the year).

According the the excellent book by Peter Harvey "Street Names Of Sheffield":-

'The legend is that the man who built it (the road), had a good win on a horse called Seabreeze. It won The Oaks and the St.Leger in 1888, but it is unlikely the anybody won a large amount of money on it in either of the races. It started at 7-4 in The Oaks and 5-2 in The Leger'.

Hope this helps!

It was once said that you could smell the sea breeze from the top of Sally Clark's in Woodhouse. Maybe there's some connection?

this is a much more romantic explanation than the one about the gambling builder.....

I hope Sally doesn't think you were saying she smelled of fish....