Loft Conversion advice MEGATHREAD- no advertising/quotations

Does anyone have any experience of converting the loft of a bog-standard two bedroom sheffield terrace house? Any advice or even an idea how much such an undertaking might cost would be very useful.

A friend did his recently, I was amazed how much was involved just from the planning dept, the insulation has to meet very tight specs, joists have to be exact grade and thickness, a window of correct dimensions to allow fire escape has to be fitted, and at the end of the day the council charge you about £400 to inspect and pass it. He did all the construction work himself, but the final bill was over £1500.

Thanks for the pointers - I figured that the regulations might be fiddly, can now start to think about the idea feeling a little less clueless :cool:

One last question. Has anyone had one done by "real builders" as opposed to Little Malc's friend? If so, roughly how much did it cost?

Guest Pauly

As I mentioned earlier Moonboy, I know some roofers that do loft conversions as I used to work with the plumber they used for the central heating and bathroom fittings.

Send me a PM if you're interested in their number or anything. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know, just a rough idea of how much a loft conversion is. It's not a massive space. I don't want an exact figure just an idea of what I'd be looking at? Many thanks

It depends on what you want to use the space for afterwards. Do you want a bedroom or a storage space?

It would be so I could use it as a bedroom

Mine cost me in the region of £10k plus. You will need building regs and possibly planning permission (depending on where you live, as some areas require it for a velux window)

You need to consider fire escapes and safety etc.

I was thinking in the 8-10k region. Thanks for that

hi, if you are doing this for a bedroom it will have to be done to builing regs, and depending on weather you want a dormer or velux you may need planning permission, for a small loft you could be looking at anywhere from 8k upto 15k but without seeing the job its really hard to say.

i would be happy to come and have a look and give you a quote