Council tax - anyone been paying and still received a summons letter?

I am fuming! I have been paying my council tax and am up to date with my payments, and yesterday i got a summons letter saying that they are taking me to court for not paying!!! which is obviously a HUGE mistake on their part. and to make me even more annoyed , couldn't get through to anyone on the phone and whenever i try emailing them the session always times out so.. may have to call into their office next.

has this happened to anyone else or is it just me?

This happened to my dad. I pay his online and there saying they havent got payments! still trying to sort it out now

If you have records of all your payments and you can show money been taken from your bank then do nothing and wait for your day in court then claim costs.

Why waste your time trying to prove you are correct, let them do what they want as long as you are in the right then provide the evidence in court

i can't be doing with the stress of going to court :-( i have been paying at pay points with the bar code thats on the bill, however i do have receipts to prove i have paid so i think i might just take them into the office. sue180 i do hope u manage to get your dad's payments sorted soon x

no but had one from E.ON, similar and all bills were paid up to date!!

re concil tax, our phone number is very similar, I get at least 6 calls a day, on a monday its awaful, I just leave the answer phone on, but sometimes phone people up as they had left loads of messages!!

i can't be doing with the stress of going to court :-( i have been paying at pay points with the bar code thats on the bill, however i do have receipts to prove i have paid so i think i might just take them into the office. sue180 i do hope u manage to get your dad's payments sorted soon x

Take a copy of the receipts (in case they get 'misplaced') and post them in (recorded delivery and keep a copy of everything you post), with a copy of their summons and a note saying 'here's the proof I've paid - please confirm in writing to me that you have made a mistake and wont be progressing with Court action'.

Why spend ages queuing up and explaining yourself to the counter person..

Thats what I'd do.

If you have records of all your payments and you can show money been taken from your bank then do nothing and wait for your day in court then claim costs.

Why waste your time trying to prove you are correct, let them do what they want as long as you are in the right then provide the evidence in court

Spot on advice, I had 9 months of standing order evidence from my bank to the council for council tax but they summoned me to magistrates court for none payment. I quite happily went, with my bank statements & the case didn't even get heard after I passed my evidence for the judge to look at.

Let them take you and show themselves up for the incompetent fools that they are :)

Yes both daughters my recieved one yesterday even though they are up to date with their payments. Took a while to get through to the council but the summons has now been cancelled.

I am fuming! I have been paying my council tax and am up to date with my payments, and yesterday i got a summons letter saying that they are taking me to court for not paying!!! which is obviously a HUGE mistake on their part. and to make me even more annoyed , couldn't get through to anyone on the phone and whenever i try emailing them the session always times out so.. may have to call into their office next.

Dont pay it and dont stand up for the judge :hihi::hihi:

Edited by Total Chaos

Dont pay it and dont stand for the judge :hihi::hihi:

I know just pay the bill and stop trying to get away with it as we all have to pay it ! :hihi:

Just thought of something does the summons letter have a Sheffield city council letter head??