The New Champs - Was Pomona

Been a few times since it opened on a Friday as it’s a convenient place to meet some mates who work on Ecclesall Road for an after work drink. For that purpose it is more than adequate but I wouldn’t consider going there for food and to be fair I don’t think that’s the market they’ve gone for. The menu is basically a small step up from bar snacks, but given the amount of choice when it comes to eating out on Ecclesall Road I don’t see that as a bad thing. It’s definitely more of a straight out drinking establishment than the 'half and half' setup they had at the old place.

Me and my dog went in there the other night and I must say I like it - just like the old Pomona only better. It was crowded and the crowd looked like a good sort - blokes in check shirts and faded jeans and lovely birds with blonde hair, shiny jewellry and really good tans ...

What's the beer selection like.....Any real ales?

Regards

Doom

I'm not looking for Michelin star food here, just somewhere to go with 20 work mates for a decent burger.

From the reviews based on this, poor service and can't even serve up a simple burger, we'll not be going.

Have to travel to Manchester or Leeds. Why can't you get a decent burger or steak in this city?

have tried La Vache at Broomhill for the steak or Thyme cafe or the york for either great burgers or steak?

They have Jaipur, Moonshine and Tetley on cask.

Me and my dog went in there the other night and I must say I like it - just like the old Pomona only better. It was crowded and the crowd looked like a good sort - blokes in check shirts and faded jeans and lovely birds with blonde hair, shiny jewellry and really good tans ...

Do I smell sarcasm?!

Champs does not look like my kind of place at all but it seems quite busy. Probably at the expense of the awful Botanical just a few doors up.

I went in the other week and I liked it even if the drinks were little pricey (but they always have been in champs).

The atmosphere is good and its certainly a big big improvement on the pubs that used to be in that building. Its certainly not really a place to go and eat.

Faded jeans and sun tans? Doesn't sound much like the old Pomona at all.

They have Jaipur, Moonshine and Tetley on cask.

Thanks......Jaipur sounds good to me.....I'll add it to my Ecclesall Road pub list.

Regards

Doom

Its a massive improvement on the old pomona - plenty of decking for when the sun shines too

Its a massive improvement on the old pomona - plenty of decking for when the sun shines too

I think you mean the new Pomona. This was the old Pomona.

It is nothing like the old champs, but in all fairness at least it's made the Pomona busier again. With pubs shutting down left right and centre at least this one looks saved!