Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I remember the Townsend family. I was in the same year as Mark. Last I heard he was the landlord of a pub in Dronfield. His mother was Greek - called Stella. She was big mates with my mom and used to try and get me to eat olives - God they were disgusting!! Marks dad was called Arthur and English if memeory serves hence the not very Greek sounding surname. I'm pretty sure I remeber my mom telling me that Stella had passed away some years ago. While I'm on - does anyone know whats happening with the Blue Bell? I had so many good times in there in the early to mid 1980's.

I remember the Townsend family. I was in the same year as Mark. Last I heard he was the landlord of a pub in Dronfield. His mother was Greek - called Stella. She was big mates with my mom and used to try and get me to eat olives - God they were disgusting!! Marks dad was called Arthur and English if memeory serves hence the not very Greek sounding surname. I'm pretty sure I remeber my mom telling me that Stella had passed away some years ago. While I'm on - does anyone know whats happening with the Blue Bell? I had so many good times in there in the early to mid 1980's.

The Blue Bell has been closed for some time now although the building was recently sold at auction, reputedly for a mere £75,000. It is unlikely it will reopen as a pub.

The Blue Bell has been closed for some time now although the building was recently sold at auction, reputedly for a mere £75,000. It is unlikely it will reopen as a pub.

Apparrenlty the Greek geezer who own's the chippy on Hackehthorpe shops has bought it.

No idea what for.

I lived at 45 Delves Road and our back garden looked onto the park/playground which was opposite Rainbow Forge school. I lived between Christine Hancock (who once accused my of trying to strangle her when we'd had a fall out - drama queen) and Bonita & Frank Glover.

Cotty, we were near neighbours, only 6 houses apart.

Originally Posted by COTTY View Post

I lived at 45 Delves Road and our back garden looked onto the park/playground which was opposite Rainbow Forge school. I lived between Christine Hancock (who once accused my of trying to strangle her when we'd had a fall out - drama queen) and Bonita & Frank Glover.

Cotty was her mum called Jean Hancock, if so worked with her at Tungsten Carbide

is an old super8 movie of Hackenthorpe Gala Circa 1975

My mum and dad used to help organise that Gala. It was organised by the Hackenthorpe Old Folks Association to raise money every year and give all pensioners on the estate (from the bottom of Rainbow Avenue up to the Plover) a bag of groceries and a 10/- note every Christmas. I can remember loading the carrier bags into my dad's car on Christmas Eve and delivering them to each pensioner. Other families involved in running the association whose children are mentioned on here include Joan & Bill Steel; Alma & Robert Sherwood; Frank Beatson; George & Joan Pagdin; Margaret & David Walton; and mnay others who I can't remember.

. Had Some great times there now live at Woodhouse not far away with my partner Ken Walton who used to live on Birley Spa Lane

How's Shona?

Hackenthorpe And Zakes. Part 13.

Here are some scraps left from my Hackenthorpe da(ys)ze.

5. Circa 1963-64 in Main Street there was a black stone brick house or hall with the roof caved in and two outer walls knocked down with the bricks inside on the floor. We young 'uns thought a wicked witch lived in it making us nervously cautious. Next to this house was a small green lane-let with two or three small but bushy trees, and in one of the trees nested an albino blackbird! All of this was roughly opposite The Sportsman pub. Any info. please.

Can't remember that, but I can remember the cottages on Main Street opposite the Sportsman which ran as far as the Blue Bell.

7. Recently walking up to the top of Brook Lane I looked over Sheffield Road. To the left and outside Inkersall House are two massive pine like trees, they are sheer beauty, I remeber them from when I was a lad. Have you seen them?

I can remember when Inkersall house was a family home, and will no doubt eventually remember the name of family who lived there, they owned the factory behind it.

8. If you walk from Inkersall House towards Beighton Road, and look over the wall about 50 yards before Main Street, you will see a 10ft by 10ft square of ivy covering a building, what is that building? It's about 10 yards over the wall.

Isn't it part of Spencer's old farm buildings

13. Anyone remember - Inspector Proby?

Zakes.

wasn't his name Povey

I used to knock around with Geoff Dalton back in the 60's and early 70's does anyone know if he still lives on Hackenthorpe ?

last i heard geoff was living on psalter lane . lived there for over 20 years that i know to

Thanks hackey Lad I would have liked to say hello to him.

Cotty, we were near neighbours, only 6 houses apart.

Hi Tazz - 6 houses apart but a lifetime ago eh! lol :) Loved my time on Hackenthorpe. Didn't want to move away :(