Council tax - anyone been paying and still received a summons letter?

We're contesting a CCJ we have over a mix up with payments. It never made it to court but the judgement has been given anyway. Awaiting a response from them still....

We're contesting a CCJ we have over a mix up with payments. It never made it to court but the judgement has been given anyway.

That's an impossibility; only the court can issue a CCJ.

If someone other than the official court is claiming to have issued (rather than applied for) one against you, I suggest talking to a solicitor about it.

That's an impossibility; only the court can issue a CCJ.

If someone other than the official court is claiming to have issued (rather than applied for) one against you, I suggest talking to a solicitor about it.

Does it necessarily involve making an appearance in court then or can they be issued regardless? as I say the CCJ exists and we are contesting

Does it necessarily involve making an appearance in court then or can they be issued regardless? as I say the CCJ exists and we are contesting

It can be issued by the court without your presence.

It can, in fact, be issued without you ever knowing about it, but not legally so. I had one issued against me which was revoked once I pointed out that I'd heard nothing about the case until after the judgment was passed. If that's the position you find yourself in, contesting it is the right thing to do; I thought you meant that judgment had been passed without the case ever getting to court at all.

It can be issued by the court without your presence.

It can, in fact, be issued without you ever knowing about it, but not legally so. I had one issued against me which was revoked once I pointed out that I'd heard nothing about the case until after the judgment was passed. If that's the position you find yourself in, contesting it is the right thing to do; I thought you meant that judgment had been passed without the case ever getting to court at all.

A summons came through at the same time as a payment was being made, it would appear that even though a direct debit has been set up, payments are still delayed.

Amusing rather than interesting. FOI requests are meant to be requests for facts or information, not requests for opinions.

Incidentally, for those who suggest waiting for the court date to turn up and embarass the council, rather than sorting it out beforehand - I can see the pleasure to be taken from that, but costing the council all that extra money in trying to defend a completely silly court case, doesn't hurt the council. It hurts the people of Sheffield, since the more money Sheffield Council spend on court costs, the less is available to spend on council services.

I'd ask people to consider that factor as part of their decision.

If you have records of all your payments and you can show money been taken from your bank then do nothing and wait for your day in court then claim costs.

Why waste your time trying to prove you are correct, let them do what they want as long as you are in the right then provide the evidence in court

Aye, if you've don nowt wrong.

But if possible warn them to avoid courts, because it will only cost everyone else, and waste both yours and their time.

They shouldn't be wasting your time in the first place!

Amusing rather than interesting. FOI requests are meant to be requests for facts or information, not requests for opinions.

That's true, however further on in the text are suggestions on framing the same question in a fashion that would elicit the information required.

I know just pay the bill and stop trying to get away with it as we all have to pay it ! :hihi:

obviously didnt read the thread properly otherwise u will see that i have paid.

direct e-mail for them instead of doing it through the website

[email protected]

usually takes about 24 hours for a response but it always gets through :) x

thanx for this hollylolly, ive sent them an email so will see what their response is!!