"You can't come in with them on, i'll let you in this time"..

as i said before

clothing DOES NOT indicate an idiot, stereotyping does not work, i could be in in steelies and cause no bother, a tw@ in a suit might glass somebody :rolleyes:

Yes, but despite this, it's still more likely that someone turning up in steelies is going to a) cause more bother and b) do a lot more damage in such bother, than someone in a suit. On a door, there are seconds to decide whether that person is someone you want in your venue. Your appearance is one of those indicators, and yes, stereotyping is used, and does work. Other things used are gender, age, and number of people in your group.

The thing is, licensed premises don't need an excuse to turn customers away. You're only allowed in if they want to let you in, and they don't have to give you a reason. Often telling people they're wearing the wrong clothes is a nicer way of telling you that they don't like the look of you, the clothes have nothing to do with it.

And where dress codes are in place, it's generally not independantly decided upon by the bouncers, it's normally a decision by the venue management or promoter.

all the clubs in manchester i used to go to never had a dress code.

Very few places have no dress code*. Generally if you're not aware of a dress code, it's because you're complying with it already.

*Not to mean that everywhere will reject someone for not conforming, but they may be placed under more supervision, or queried as to whether they're in the right place. See the above story about chavs turning up to Corp being allowed in but followed by the bouncers.

Edited by dosxuk

Yes, but despite this, it's still more likely that someone turning up in steelies is going to a) cause more bother and b) do a lot more damage in such bother, than someone in a suit. On a door, there are seconds to decide whether that person is someone you want in your venue. Your appearance is one of those indicators, and yes, stereotyping is used, and does work. Other things used are gender, age, and number of people in your group.

The thing is, licensed premises don't need an excuse to turn customers away. You're only allowed in if they want to let you in, and they don't have to give you a reason. Often telling people they're wearing the wrong clothes is a nicer way of telling you that they don't like the look of you, the clothes have nothing to do with it.

And where dress codes are in place, it's generally not independantly decided upon by the bouncers, it's normally a decision by the venue management or promoter.

Very few places have no dress code*. Generally if you're not aware of a dress code, it's because you're complying with it already.

*Not to mean that everywhere will reject someone for not conforming, but they may be placed under more supervision, or queried as to whether they're in the right place. See the above story about chavs turning up to Corp being allowed in but followed by the bouncers.

back in the late 80s / early 90s i suppose i didnt go in places that generally had the proper dress codes

but even tho i was dressed like a proper crusty punk, ripped scruffy clothes, green dreadlocked mohican, paraboots, luminous work vest / coat i got in all the places i tried

from the obvious student / rock places to even the rave events, even allowed into blues nights

cant remember if id tried proper full on mainstream pubs / clubs tbh (yer craisy daisy or stonehouse)

roxys rock night was prolly the closest, prolly wouldnt have got in on the normal nights.

a few years ago after the retro computer event a whole group of us tried getting into the forum bar and was turned away cos it was a crowd of males, onl time ive been turned away

so we went in next door and experienced an amazing gig by king capisce which i wouldnt have seen if we hadnt been turned away lol

well, must have been very relaxed judging by the clothing people were wearing. loads in football shirts, dms, rockports, trainers, baseball caps and hoodys (myself (but not the chavvy sort!)) bike boots, leathers. never saw anyone turned away for reasons such as appearance

as i said before

clothing DOES NOT indicate an idiot, stereotyping does not work, i could be in in steelies and cause no bother, a tw@ in a suit might glass somebody :rolleyes:

as i said earlier, its not about asking for cvs whatever, its about bouncers looking for troublemakers inside and stopping them as soon as they can, its about stopping people on the doors who LOOK like they might be trouble BUT not blindly stopping people purely on clothing, if somebody looks high or drunk fair enough

No, its about not letting those idiots into your premises in the first place - stopping trouble inside means that it's already kicked off - easier to let the idiots stay outside on the pavement.

A lot of the time the dress code is there to protect door staff, it allows them a reason to turn away idiots (since they can point to the rules as justification) rather than having to argue the toss with every "casual" in their best Stone Island gear.

When you are dealing with queues of people, you don't have long to assess people, but if I saw someone trying to get in with a "burberry" baseball cap on then I could have a fair guess about their character.

What was wrong with North Face?

Do they not like outdoorsy types?

Probably coincides with the time the Snow + Rock shop at the Ski Village got broken into and half of Parson Cross became proud owners of new North Face jackets. :hihi:

but if I saw someone trying to get in with a "burberry" baseball cap on then I could have a fair guess about their character.

and youd probably be wrong

theres a guy at our work, proper chav like, wears the burbery cap, gold chains......but not a violent bone in his body, one of the friendliest people ive met, says ello to everybody

theres a guy at our work, proper chav like, wears the burbery cap, gold chains......but not a violent bone in his body, one of the friendliest people ive met, says ello to everybody

There are exceptions, of course, in the way that a group of nineteen lads trying to get into a West Street pub might be a right bunch of charmers and no trouble whasoever.

But people tend to dress to create an image. And if you see lads in Stone Island, Rockport, Burberry etc, you can take a fair guess what they are going to be like.

You won't be right every time, of course, but often enough for it to be an easy way of avoiding potential trouble.

There are exceptions, of course, in the way that a group of nineteen lads trying to get into a West Street pub might be a right bunch of charmers and no trouble whasoever.

But people tend to dress to create an image. And if you see lads in Stone Island, Rockport, Burberry etc, you can take a fair guess what they are going to be like.

You won't be right every time, of course,

i doubt theyre right most of the time but..........

A recent hobby I have started has introduced me to just about everyone from anywhere, all ages, locations, appearances, personalities, and I love it. I havent met anyone who is anything other than friendy!

only thing, im the odd one out, there isnt a single other gay person that I know!

The only gay in the village then.

unfortunately

i doubt theyre right most of the time but..........

Do you not think they have these rules for a reason?

I don't think someone is sat there saying "Today I don't want people with watches in my club" They have rules because stuff has previously kicked off with people fitting that description. If you want to dress the same as a scrote, don't be surprised if you're not allowed in places.