House of Spice - Eccy Road - Anyone been?

We went a few weeks ago and I thought it was excellent. This is also one of my brother's favourite restaurants and he's a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to this type of thing so you can't get a better recommendation that that!

Food was good - service was fantastic!

Not had a bad one yet - far from it.

Excellent food and service by friendly staff.

Tried this place again but ate in this time, it was packed out on a Saturday evening and the staff were very busy. The food was just sooooo average, absolutely nothing to get excited about at all. Without sounding too critical I cant work out how a restaurant like this is so popular, nothing to differentiate from 95% of curry houses throughout the country. I went to the Mangla at the weekend and to be honest it was good, all 8 of us thought so. The difference between the quality of the food of these places is tremendous.

not been but heard so many mixed reports that I'm hardly inspired to spend good money giving it a try. Most commonly we hear that it is "ok - average - nothing special". A number of our friends have been and said the same - and there's a similar theme on here as well.

The most consistently highly rated curry houses in Sheffield seem to be

Akbar

Aagrah

at the top end

Mangla

at the budget end

and then a load of others in between

It's our fave for takeaway and eating in we're on first name terms ! Staff very polite food excellent and are happy to make a dish specifically to your needs ... Enjoy !!

It's our fave for takeaway and eating in we're on first name terms ! Staff very polite food excellent and are happy to make a dish specifically to your needs ... Enjoy !!

Tell me it's better than Takdir takeaway, just up the road from there at Parkhead, and I may be tempted to try it.

Aah now then. I've heard great reviews from there too but never tried. I will deflect for a night if you will !

Aah now then. I've heard great reviews from there too but never tried. I will deflect for a night if you will !

:) that's a fair challenge Lauragas. I might just take you up on that.

To be fair I've been thinking of trying this House of Spice place for a while. It looks reasonable from the outside and usually (not always) the places on Eccy Road are a bit more upmarket and better quality than in some other parts of town. I have to say though that reports in general about it are very mixed. Nothing majorly bad - just - sort of ok. And that's put me off a bit.

The food at Takdir takeway is on a par with just about any of the top Indian restaurants in this city and better than most. I've recommended it to a number of people who have all been very impressed. It's restaurant standard food from a take-away. And they deliver within 3 miles of Parkhead.

Depends on personal taste of course. But the quality there is excellent. The tandoori dishes are particularly good imo.

I personally like House of Spice, not had a bad meal there and always excellent service but as a few have said it's about personal tastes. I will still use them to eat in after trying other's recommended in other Curry threads and not being overley impressed, plus its local.

Don't very often have take aways as struggled to find a decent one but decided to try Takdir this weekend after reading this. Have to say I was very impressed and will definately use them again as

It's average. There are are nicer ones - Ambar is good just down the road

I must say I love house of Spice. I have eaten in once and take out from there regularly. The food is tasty, the peshwari naan is super and the prawns lovely (although I could always eat a few more). The staff are absolutely lovely and they often throw in things free of charge. I have only had Chicken and King Prawn dishes so far but looking forward to trying some others.

I notice some of you mentioning Takdir? I will have to give that place since you all give it good reviews.