Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Empty bottles to Hogshead pub for deposit back, quick look in bike shop window, penny's worth of YZ (the one with the owl on) gum from machine on post office wall, then watch Farmer Spencer (who owned the green Ford Thames van bring his cows in ... before heading off down the fields (which were reputedly haunted) behind the village school for a spot of spider hunting.

PC 'Walt' Disney would remind us we "should be home by now" if he ran into us with his purple and white push bike.

Where did 1958 go????

I'm going to cry now.:hihi:

You have recalled memories of PC Walt Disney I used to live on Delves Drive and he lived on Delves road towards the bend on the left hand side, to the right was the stairs goinig down to the main road and then up to Rainbow Forge School.

The Fields behind the Village school I can remember as it was yesterday we used to take jam sarnies and a pop bottle full of tap water and spend the day there.

Before the Pub (and I can not remeber the name at the side of the post office/sweet shop) becam a vets at the side I can always remember Mr. Disney catching me and a few freinds scromping apples, he asked where do you live and if I catch you again I will go and speak to your Dad.

That was enough to stop us. In that time we respected the Police and those older than we were.

To me those days were one of respect for all people, today I would not like to be a child, not only are children disrespectfull, but the older people have an atitude.

Yes, having PC 'Walt' around was like having a second dad to avoid when doing something we shouldn't.:hihi:

I remember Disney living in the left hand Police House in the village just opposite the Gospel Hall. PC Spears lived in the right hand one. I used to play with PC Spears son, I think they called him Mick, maybe it was Charles, as we were both "coppers kids". When Hackenthorpe was absorbed by Sheffield, PC Spears stayed with the Derbyshire force and Disney transferred to Sheffield Police.

Before the Pub (and I can not remeber the name at the side of the post office/sweet shop) becam a vets at the side I can always remember Mr. Disney catching me and a few freinds scromping apples, he asked where do you live and if I catch you again I will go and speak to your Dad.

QUOTE]

When I went to the Village School, the blacksmiths was between the Post Office and the New Inn (vets). Just at the entrance to the Village School next to the telephone box was a liitle shed where an old guy used to sell sweets. When ever I see a sherbet "Flying Saucer" it always reminds me of that sweet shop (Hut).

I have some great memories from the village school but that will have to wate for another thread.

QUOTE]

When I went to the Village School, the blacksmiths was between the Post Office and the New Inn (vets). Just at the entrance to the Village School next to the telephone box was a liitle shed where an old guy used to sell sweets. When ever I see a sherbet "Flying Saucer" it always reminds me of that sweet shop (Hut).

I have some great memories from the village school but that will have to wate for another thread.

Hi Lostrider thanks for the name of the Pub I to went to the Village School in 1955/56 before I went to Rainbow Forge. I can remember the shed, but it was the Post Office I remember with the Flying Saucers, Sherbet dipps,Rainbow Crystals, Imps, Black Jacks and Fruit Salads to name but a few.

As my Birthday was July 24 there was only 1 year at the school that I had the chance to have the head miss to let me have sweets out of the box in her study.

The names that spring to mind at 4/5 years old are Peter White and Tony Mackinson.

Those were happy days we had not a care in the world we we left to be children.

Thanks for the memory

Hi Lostrider thanks for the name of the Pub I to went to the Village School in 1955/56 before I went to Rainbow Forge. I can remember the shed, but it was the Post Office I remember with the Flying Saucers, Sherbet dipps,Rainbow Crystals, Imps, Black Jacks and Fruit Salads to name but a few.

As my Birthday was July 24 there was only 1 year at the school that I had the chance to have the head miss to let me have sweets out of the box in her study.

The names that spring to mind at 4/5 years old are Peter White and Tony Mackinson.

Those were happy days we had not a care in the world we we left to be children.

Thanks for the memory

One of the amazing thing's I remember is my mum taking to me to the infants school aged 5 years old, just to show me where it was for the first week and then I went on my own with the other kids off our road. All the way from Delves Avenue, past the waste ground where the Hogs Head would be built, up Church Lane past the old folks flats and the cottages. Then past the button factory and The Scotts Pines around Memmots. Along Sheffield Road past the Sycle Works over Main Street to where Mrs Phipps the lollipop lady would take us safely across the road to school. Imagine that today!

Edited by Lostrider

When we moved to Hackenthorpe into a newly built house in 1953 there wasn't a place for me to attend school in the village so mum would walk me up from the bottom of the estate all the way up to the top to catch a "charabanc" which took us all the way out to Ridgeway.

The first school I went to was in the church rooms down a lane at the side of Ridgeway Church, it had a pot bellied stove in the middle of the room which we all sat around, we actually had slate & chalk when I first went there!

The second school I attended was in the Methodist Church on the main Ridgeway Road, there was no playground so, after school dinners we were taken for walks down the long hill into Ford bottom.

I finally got to go to a proper school which was Ridgeway Infants School but, only for a short time as we were then transferred to Beighton Infants School where we were taught in "Portacabins".

Very often the charabanc got stuck in snow drifts, one year it ran off the road on High Lane and finished up in the field stuck in snow, mums were anxiously waiting in Hackenthorpe when we arrived home several hours late not knowing what had happened to us as no-one had a telephone.

All this took place from being aged 5-8, could you imagine parents of today tolerating their off-spring being ferried around from school to school.

Mum didn't like the lack of amenities in Hackenthorpe so we moved to Meersbrook when I was 8.

Duffems

Does anyone remember me? Name is Richard Booth and lived at the Golden Plover between 1965 and 1969, my mum and dad (Thelma and Stuart Booth) ran it before packing it in and moving down to Beighton! Went to Carter Lodge School from 1965 to 1970 and hung around with Chris and Mark Sherwood and Nigel West amongst others.

Anyone here lived on Carter Lodge Avenue from the mid 50's? I'm sure my dad (Robert Green) lived there from birth in 1950, of not his family moved there soon after as my uncle (Richard Green) was born in the house. There was also a sister (Wendy)

Not sure of the number (though 14 rings a bell) but it was at the opposite end to the junction with the main road (one with the shops on).

Sure they all would have attended Rainbow Forge too, I also remember my dad talking about a friend called Brian Humyard (think he lived on the main road on the left, down the hill from the shops just as it turns right).

Edited by chrisgreen

Anybody know if Pigs Lane is still there? It was a dirt track that ran from Birley Spa Lane up to Main Street, it went past the old Rainbow Forge Junior School playing fields.

Anybody know if Pigs Lane is still there? It was a dirt track that ran from Birley Spa Lane up to Main Street, it went past the old Rainbow Forge Junior School playing fields.

Pigs Lane brings back so many memories it is funny to think as a young child we could walk up and down there with no fear, oh how times have changed.

I think when Ranbow Forge was replaced with houses Pigs Lane was lost.

Oh, I certainly do remember playing on the roof of Cotleigh Hall. PC Disney caught me one day and threatened to tell my parents. Boy, were we scared in those days!? I too went to Hackenthorpe Village school about 1953. Then moved to Rainbow Forge Infant School, then Rainbow Forge Junior Annexe (in Carter Lodge building) because there wasn't enough room for us at Rainbow Forge School. I lived on Rainbow Avenue.