City Grammar School Leopold Street

Anyone else on the forum who went to the City Grammar School in the late 50's to early 60's?

Mr. Harvard was the Headmaster, Mr. Parsons for Latin (tatty gown and shirts), Mr. Fuller for French (used to clang his metal leg against my desk on the front row), Mr. Hum (Buzz) for Chemistry and Mr. McPherson (quite dishy) for Physics, and good old Mr. Taylor for Maths (I think he used to doze off in class). Bring back any memories?

I wonder if any of my old friends are still around Sheffield - Linda Walker, Anne Nicholson & Leslie Donn spring to mind. I met up with Susan Webb on a recent visit to Sheffield from Canada, she hadn't changed a bit - well not much.

Hi Hazel, I was at CGS 1959-1964 but don't remember your friends listed. You may not be aware of the existance of the school website run by Alan Lomax it's:

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/ try posting on there. Which Hazel are you you? Warris?

All the best

Don B

Thanks Don - I have checked out Omnes Amici and found a couple of class photos. I see that I was in Mr. Fuller's Form 5 in 1962.

P.S. My name was Hazel May.

Mr. McPherson (quite dishy) for Physics.

Mr McPherson was still teaching at City when I went 77-84, he retired about the time I left. Dishy had turned to 'distinguished' by then. Nice guy!

Hi Hazel, sorry, missed the obvious there! Most people don't use their full name as username. You were a couple of years ahead of me which is why I don't recognise the names (or yours). The headmasters name was Harry Harvatt by the way, I can picture him very well and all the other teachers you remember. Good luck locating your friends.

Omnes Amici

Don

Was at this school 1950 to 1955 when Mr Davis was headmaster. The 1950 intake have just had a reunion which was held at the Leopold Hotel and the turnout was about 25% of the original pupils who started in 1950. Forms were 1p (Mrs Potter), 1q (Miss Foster), 1r (Mr Etchells), and 1s (Mrs Rignall). Any other pupils from this time out there who'd like to be in touch can go to the Omnes Amici website.

My first teacher was Miss Foster who was a right old snob.She made all the class stand up in turn and say what their father did at work.

I remember Miss Potts she used to scare the living daylights out of me but what a brilliant teacher.

Of course there was Mr Etchells and Miss Thorold who eventually married.

The lessons learned at that school and good manners stay with you the rest of your life.

There used to be a reunion of the 49ers but I have not heard of one in the last year or two.

At the reunion this week Miss Thorold as was there as guest of honour. She was Mrs McPherson not Etchells...and is still very well.

At the reunion this week Miss Thorold as was there as guest of honour. She was Mrs McPherson not Etchells...and is still very well.

Was that a reunion of the 49ers?

Miss Thorold still going strong!Sh has to be well into her 90's.

I thought she had married Mr Etchells but she bagged McPherson!!!

The City School, Stradbroke Road in particular has an extremely large reunion group on facebook named "The City School Megathread 1969-2009".

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=53434342590&ref=ts

Please follow the above link for access, the group itself has touching 2000 members and seems to be doing well from what I have seen.

Glad you remember...I know we all thought Mr Etchells would be the one but then Mr McPherson came along.

It was the 1950 intake reunion organised every year for about the past 5 years but we think that was the last one. I hope not.

I think a lady called Jean organises the 49ers.

Anyone else on the forum who went to the City Grammar School in the late 50's to early 60's?

I knew a girl who went there, she was around the same age and got on the same bus as I attended next door at the CTS (around 1960/63)